Ovation Magnum & St. Louis Blues King Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowbman, Sep 20, 2000.

1. lowbman

Sep 20, 2000
    Greetings Everyone!

I've got a few questions on 2 basses I recently picked up...first one, an Ovation Magnum 4 string- a giant, heavy, with nice action. Does anyone have any experience with these? The model I have has four pots, not the sliding eq's...As for my second, it's a St.Louis "Blues King", made in '81, with a P-bass body...I understand they were made for only a year. I've searched the web for some background info on it, but no luck so far...

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

2. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi ya doing lowbman welcome aboard. I dont know anything about the Ovation But I have owned a St Blues Bluesking since 1981. They were made in Memphis Tennessee in the early 80's by a place called Strings&Things I believe they are still open. I have the original hang tags and brochure. These basses were made with impeccable craftsmanship and were a direct hit towards Fenders dropping quality in the early 80's and were a direct hit in there wallet. I dont know why they were only made a few short years but im my opinion one of the best instruments made.
    If it is a stock one with the PJ pup combo you have in you hands a great sounding & playing bass with the right set up The bass is the best recording bass I have ever heard, and thats where it counts. I recently stumbled across one over at the bass Palace web site http://www.basspalace.com and scoffed it up and it's in my hands right now. What color is yours and is it a maple frettboard or rosewood?
    If you ever think your going to let it go drop me a line I'll take it off your hands. Show me a Picture!!
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The web site for Strings&Things is http://www.ybafool.com/
    Just navigate through and you might find some old info.
    Hope this helps.
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit

I also have a St. Blues Blues King bass. Mine is vintage burst, cream pickguard and maple fingerboard. It plays great!!! Only problem is, when I got it, someone had pulled out the original pickups (P-J) and installed a set of EMG's. I immediately pulled those out and put a set of Dimarzio's in as that is what it looks like they originally had. I only had a black set around at the time, but have been tempted to get a cream set to match the pickguard as every one of these I have actually seen (only a few) has had cream pickups and pickguards. Since I had to gut the electronics that were in there, I installed push/pull pots on both volumes so the Dimarzio's can be run series or parallel...giving a Fender sound or a much deeper sound. Now, not only does it play great, it sounds fantasic, too!

Funkster, do you know if the original pickups they used were Dimarzio's? If not, do you know what brand they used?

I also have an Ovation Magnum II (4 pots w/out slinding EQ). A strange beast. Seems to have two basic tones...bright and brighter. Not 100% about this, but do believe they were fairly early in the use of carbon within the neck. A cool bass if you like oddities!

5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Alright another bluesking owner!!!
    Yes SMG the originals were Dimarzio's I dont know what model but they are great sounding. I have two one with vintage tobaccoburst cream guard rosewood board like a dope in the early 80's I put Seymore Duncans in it but its back to the Dims. The other is a honeyburst cream guard maple board I just picked it up from Bob at the Bass Palace and it was a pleasure doing buisiness with him. I got to give credit to Zoomboy for finding this one.
    Definitly put the cream color covers back on it looks real classy with the discolored binding and the cream guard.
    I have pics of the tobaccoburst in the show pics of your bass thread but when I get some new ones developed I'll post them on this thread.
    I like the push pull pot idea so you can run series or parallel ;) HMMMMMMM