Ovation Magnums

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 14, 2004.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I feel the urge to know even more about this strange bass form the past.

is there anyone who owns one?

does it sound as BIG and FAT as that Gargantuan neck pickup?
  2. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I have never heard one but I remember seeing a few at Diamond Strings - here is their inventory with desciptions - the Ovations are down the page a bit. It does have quite a visual presence, tho.

3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My old guitar teacher used to have one. I'm thinking of attempting to buy it off him. 'Tis an odd bass that I would deffinetly want to add to my one bass collection :p.
  4. There is a one for sale in a store a few hours away from me for 950$ Canadian.
    It looks in great shape...i never tried it though.

I think its a really awsome looking bass...very unique.
  5. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just did some electronics work on my friend's Magnum last week. The gigantic neck pickup is actually four individual pickups with trim pots for passive bass cut for each coil. The neck was three piece mahogony/GRAPHITE/mahogany. Pretty cool stuff. You'll have to use extra long strings though if you don't want silk on the wrong side of the nut... (bizarre bridge!) I only tried it out on the little practice amp in my shop but it sounded cool.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Very unique. -Luke
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is it short scale?
  8. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    The guy had taken it apart for a sculpture, i think. Very cool looking bass, didnt' get to play it plugged in, though. I think his had a cover over the bridge, one of those big honking chrome dome sort of things like you see on P or J's once in a while?
    If you're out there, Ron, PM me. -mot
  9. I've played one before. I'm prety sure it has a standard 34 in. scale length. It has a very cool, vintage type sound. A lot of warmth. The built in mute is awsome. With a flick of a switch, you can increase it's warm vintage vibe even more. I would definately consider getting one if I saw one.
  10. I have a different version of that model. They made 3 different version, and i have the Magnum III. Which had a more traditional body shape and had either dual stereo outputs or a 3 band slider EQ built in. I have the 3 band.
    The bass weighs a tons and is rock solid. The bridge pickup has unique U shaped magnets, and when soloed sounds very much like a older Jazz bass. The neck pickup is infact 4 individual pickups each w/ its own trim pot (which you can change w/ a small screwdriver) and pickup height adjustment. The neck pickup sounds very punchy and fat, but it needs the defintion of the rear pickup to be focused. Playing the front p'up w/ the EQ shaped to cut mids the bass sounds upright like. W/ the EQ set flat and both pickups selected the bass sounds like a early P bass w/ better definition.
    My guess is, Ovation tried to present alot of forward thinking ideas behind this bass. It ws one of the first to use carbon fiber reinforced necks, all the innovative electronics, and a solid mahogany body. I bought mine new in 1982, and i see them for sale on EBAY for exactly the same price....
  11. I used to have a Magnum. Very cool bass. I had it strung with flatwounds and it sounded huge. It gets quite a few different tones. I sold it to Mad Subwoofer -- haven't seen him post much lately but maybe he'll chime in.