1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ovation Ultra Bass - Cast Ironwood? :0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 30, 2011.

1. Kee-riminy! This has got to be the heaviest bass I've ever felt!

A buddy brought a garage sale bass over for me the check out - a solid body P-style Ovation from about 1982 as far as I can figger.

Age-amber'd White and Maple with that oogee type edge on it, partially around the periphery of the body and the bottom side of the headstock.

The bass got some water damage and it's got a little clear coat cracked on the head and neck, not to mention the fingerboard is surface cracked, but not the wood underneath

One p'ups is missing - and interestingly it has a Series-Parallel toggle switch and I guess the other p'up had the same wiring as the one survivor.

Plywood body for sure, but the bouts don't have any seams showing nor warpage at all.

The neck's straight, although some water damage. Schaller tuners and a HM bridge that appears to be stock. It has a bullet truss screw too. Interesting.

Anyone got any insight to this bass? Besides the fact that it weighs as much as two of my Fenders - and it [DEL]won't [/DEL]AIN'T gonna wind up in my choir - but I'll help him restore it.

Oh yeah - he paid $1.00 for it.

2. kingkeith666

kingkeith666

Feb 8, 2011
    hey are you shure its plywood some say they are maple and i cant decide on buying one from my friend unless im shure it has a maple body.

3. kingkeith666

kingkeith666

Feb 8, 2011
    Are you shure its plywood i tought it was maple..:eek: Now im not shure if i really want to buy it from my frined

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    One of these?

[​IMG]

Dang, that Kahler Trem looks awful heavy.

5. Can't see the pix Mongo-deuce---------

But yeah on the plywood - er multi-layers anyway. It can be seen where the neck pocket is water damaged.

I'll try to get some pixs of it soon - dang, I forgot to do that while it was here. Sorry.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I was trying to find another pic and found them with a Fender style bridge or the Kahler Trem.

Which does your's have?

7. Well - I know it's not a Fender style. A big ugly thing was on it.

8. Got some pixs now:::

100_9554.

100_9553. 100_9556.

100_9557. 100_9558.

100_9559. 100_9562.

100_9563.

Here's the kicker --- it weighs 13 lbs, 4 ozs.