1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ovation Viper Bass - Catastrophic Bridge Failure

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    My 1995 Ovation Viper Bass just had a catastrophic bridge failure. I was playing it yesterday to review some reading material and when I picked it up today to do the same, I said; "Hmm, these strings are awfully loose" When I looked closer this is what I saw(actually what I saw was worse, this is what it looks like with the strings totally loosened).

viper-bridge-top.

viper-bridge-bottom.

Is this covered under warranty? :bawl:

2. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Yea, it was probably covered by a warrantee back in 1996.

Decision time. Do we take it to a luthier or should we send it to the parts bin? Maybe you could part it out on eBay and fund your next purchase?

3. Not that it matters, but I'd call that a top/glue failure- the bridge itself looks fine. Maybe post in setup/repair or luthier's corner?

4. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not the same instrument, but the same thing happened to me with my Ovation Elite acoustic. I believe it was an unfortunate whack from a very powerful dog tail.

My tech repaired it easily.

Lesson learned - my acoustic guitars and basses go back in their cases.

I think my guy just cleaned it up, made sure it was solid and glued it back on. That was about 4 years ago - no problems since.

5. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Agree, that should be a pretty easy fix with a luthier who works on acoustics.

The two mounting screws pulling out is unsettling though! If there is damaged interior bracing, the fix would be more complicated. Perhaps the screws were position set screws, and were not actually in the bracing. You should hope for that.