Over ear rather than in ear

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gluvhand, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    Anybody here going with traditional style over ear headphones rather than in ear types for gigs? Just something I'm considering for a few reasons. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

basspraiser likes this.
  2. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    I did for a while for the worship team. I eventually went to inears for the low profile and better seal.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have a hard enough time with buds and have no desire to be seen in public wearing headphones like I’m some nerdy scientist bassist.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If I'm in the studio or pit band, yes. But optics are part of any stage show.

5. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    Thanks. The low profile I totally get. The better seal is what I’m having a problem with. My ear canals appear to be a good bit narrower than most so in ears frequently pop out a bit. I don’t have money for custom molds and find cans to be infinitely more comfortable anyway so I may make the change.

6. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    I get it but I’m not particularly vain, not that either of you are, and there are a few guys doing it already, particularly Jon Sykes from The Pineapple Thief. If a recording /touring pro can do it no one will care about a cover band hack like me doing it.

JRA, covermego, bassicg and 1 other person like this.
  7. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    Comply Foam tips come in multiple sizes. Try a variety pack and see what fits best.

8. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    I guess that should be my first step. The in ears I bought came with 5 or 6 different size tips and no dice but I can try the Complys.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Well have fun, Mr. Peabody ;)

bassicg and Gluvhand like this.
  10. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    I’m probably more of a Sherman.

bassicg and JimmyM like this.
  11. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    Definitely give the complys a try. I had issues with generic tips staying in especially when I sweat due to the slick rubber/silicone material. Was really bad with my AirPod pros. Would slide right out if I even slightly tilted my head to the side. Put Comply tips on and haven’t had an issue since.

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Wish I could... But my worship leader aunt key me....

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have troubles with my right ear popping out... Maybe it's the way I'm turned...

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Nothing beats a set of ATH M50x cans. Except in discretion.

15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I own both but lean toward my in-ears as they are simply less likely to fall out of my ears. Custom-molded, the snug fit is great. I enjoy both, but the listening experience is (obviously) different between the two.

Beyerdynamic makes killer headphones... I highly recommend their stuff, especially for away-from-the-stage purposes.

16. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Roger Waters seemed to like it well enough. Of course IEMs weren't really a thing back then, but still...

bbb1ac1abe377ac74d04d583566a4c74--pinky-swear-roger-waters.jpg

ahbradot and Element Zero like this.
  17. Ideally I prefer noise cancelling headphones, but in reality, for the aesthetics, I use IEMs. PROVIDED, that they fit my ears properly. My right ear has lots of scar tissue inside so I must have custom moulded IEMs. (I have just adapted my fitted hearing aids to earbuds as they were stuft as they were)

18. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    Not a fan of things stuck into my orifices'

19. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    As a nerdy scientist bassist, I represent that remark!:bookworm:

bassdeal likes this.
  20. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I saved some gig money and bought a custom pair of 64 Audio IEM's. The seal you get from it is CRUCIAL to hearing and feeling the low end you are creating. Without that seal, it doesn't feel like you are playing bass at all. I suggest saving up rather than spending more money on something that will disappoint you in the future.

SoCal80s and s0c9 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021