1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Over Night Battery Death!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Turtle Posse, Mar 30, 2013.


  1. Turtle Posse

    Turtle Posse

    Mar 30, 2013
    Hey all! I'm new to the forum. But I'm in need of some advice. I just recently got a ESP LTD B-1005 and switched out the pickups to EMGX DC (Bridge) and EMGX CS (Neck), Paired with the EMG BQS system. It really sounds great btw. However, like the post states, my batteries are dying over night :bawl:. But before you go saying "unplug your bass duh!". I never leave it plugged in. I'll jam for a few hours, put it up for the night, next day.....nothing. Checked the wiring and everything seems to be as per the instructions. Anyone have this happen before? :confused:
     
  2. mmbongo

    mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

    Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You do not have the jack wired correctly. It is not turning off.
     
  3. SGD Lutherie

    SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

    Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They shouldn't even go dead overnight with the plug left in. I used to leave my bass with EMGs and BTC plugged in for days at a time...

    Check to see if something is shorted out in the bass. Often sounding might be touching some shielding paint or foil that shouldn't be.

    Is the battery getting hot?
     
  4. Turtle Posse

    Turtle Posse

    Mar 30, 2013
    Yeah, the battery does get hot. I did notice that I had one of the pickups wired backward on the circuit board bus; Still drained the battery just as fast as before. Could be the input jack wiring (that was the only other thing I could think of myself), going to check that out and see if that may be the culprit.
     
  5. Turtle Posse

    Turtle Posse

    Mar 30, 2013
    So I adjusted the leads from the output jack so they're not in contact with the wall of the control cavity. Decided to essentially "rewire" the whole thing as though I was installing it all over, the preamp was all wired exactly the same as I had it originally and when it came to the pickups I noticed the spring pinched the battery lead in the neck position to the point where the wire is showing through the shielding. THAT combined with the metal screw and shielding paint COULD be enough to cause a short in the power circuit right?
     

Share This Page