over the top, obviously effected low pass filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Meyatch, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    For years now I have wanted an effects pedal that would cut all frequencies above a certain point, ideally the cutoff would be controlled by an effects pedal.

Assuming I understand what I'm asking for, this is basically a low pass filter. Every commercially available low pass filter, in pedal format at least, seems to be designed for an always on sound, and to be transparent and subtle, which is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Does anyone make a low pass filter that cuts all or nearly all highs, and can be set to a frequency that is blatantly obvious?

I would add an expression control myself if such a thing exists.

Preferably all this would cost like $50, but I'd be interested in finding out any option at any price point.

related: what I want seems pretty commonly available in modular synth gear. Does anyone know anything about interfacing that to a pedalboard?

scott sinner likes this.
  2. I feel like what you want is a low pass envelope filter with the frequency range and sensitivity way down. I think the DOD Fx25 was used like this a bunch. Unfortunately I've been out of the filter game for a while and I was more of a quack hunter anyway, so I don't have a great recommendation.

droo46, jefkritz, getbent and 4 others like this.
  3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    For $50 you could probably get a DODFX25 which can be set to kill all highs and give you a nice big dubby, lows-only sound.

don’t think you’ll find anything with expression pedal control in that price range.

IIRC the Source Audio filter offers expression pedal control.

Killing Floor and Nashrakh like this.
  4. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    I love my Iron Ether Xerograph for this purpose. It's a really lively filter. But it's not $50.

Maybe a Zoom B1Xon which has an expression pedal built-in and can do LPF plus a lot of other things?

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to adapt an FX25 or something else to replace the frequency knob with a socket for an expression pedal. Might need some extra resistors in series or parallel to match the resistance of the original pot.

Not sure that modular gear works at instrument levels. You would probably need a buffer/amp to boost the bass signal.

5. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'll read some more about the Xerograph. That seems like it might do what I want.

Just some clarification:
    $50 was kind of tongue in cheek. I'd absolutely love to hear any low cost options, but I feel like I'd probably have seen them. I'd love to hear about any pedals doing what I'm looking for, or close to it.

I'm absolutely not looking for any envelope based filtering, or any triggered low pass filter at all. I don't really care if a pedal is capable of doing it. I'm looking for a filter that would be always on. Additional controls are nice, but the main thing I'm looking for is to cut all highs above a frequency, and then to be able to change the frequency that happens at, with a range that gets stupidly low, where you would think "nobody would ever want to cut everything above this"

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Oh and about interfacing modular synth - yes this can be done easily with a line-level in/out module, a filter and something to interface with the expression pedal. This gets expensive!

7. Source audio C4 or spectrum seem like they'd be another good place to look, I think.

equill, jam.majors and Killing Floor like this.
  8. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    You want to be looking into modular synth filters. Off the top of my head guitar pedals usually come with other FX built in but there's a short list:

The DBA Evil Filter has a footswitchable tandem fuzz (and it rules) so you can run the filter or fuzz or filter + fuzz. The Moog MF101 has an envelope which can be disabled but they're expensive and rare. The Dr Scientist Dusk is a digitally controlled analog filter with LFO and Envelope that you can ignore. Beyond that you're into Eurorack territory which starts with Behringer and basically doesn't have an upper limit... You'd have to build them into a box and deal with the various impedance issues too.

None of the options are 50 bucks I'm afraid, but they're all good quality. :)

cnltb likes this.
  9. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    Your description sounds exactly like the Xerograph to me. The Source Audio pedals would also be more than capable with the right set up, plus all the other stuff they can do.

HolmeBass and jam.majors like this.
  10. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Sounds like you want a Lovetone Meatball. That has a sub filter. Spendy and hard to come by, but there are clones

knumbskull likes this.
  11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Broughton Audio do (or did?) a Low Pass Filter that goes down to 220Hz, you might want lower though.

CCE20A90-A669-4458-8D6C-AD039B7DD577.jpeg

Ewo and NKBassman like this.
  12. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Here’s a budget (ha!) Eurorack setup that does what you describe:

modulargrid_1726017.jpg

Audio in/out (line to Euro levels)
    Filter (Moog clone in this case but you have hundreds to choose from)
    Footswitch input

You’d also need the case (Doepfer 32hp is your cheapest) and an exp. pedal.

You could add a couple of LFOs for extra modulation…. But then in modular synth, there’s always something else you can add.

gtirard, D.A.R.K. and monsterthompson like this.
  13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    A Zoia should do that but that is an expensive solution.
    What you want is not just a pass filter, but one with a 4 pole design (-24 dB per oct).
    An old Dreadbox Lambda might come up and do the trick.
    Dr Scientist Dusk should work ($$$).
    A loop/blend like the KMA Tyler could work too, but that's a lot of cash to fix this issue.

knumbskull likes this.
  14. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    You absolutely want this
    Iron Ether » Xerograph

The 4 pole filter is really sharp and the resonance makes it sharper. Add some fuzz before it and use an expression pedal to sweep the cut off freq and you get this

Rain by Remedy Dominion

HolmeBass likes this.
  15. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Was just doing that the other day, 'sperimenting with a Carl Martin Optical Envelope Filter; made the bass sound like a Strat playing single coil bridge no tone cut.

With a little wah.

Also, pitch-shifters like the Pog or the cheap import ones can do that.

jefkritz likes this.
  16. drwv

drwv

Nov 26, 2019
    WV
    I just want to point out that if it's a "synthy" filter sweep sound you're going for, you want to make sure the filter has a resonance (Q) control. Resonance is a sort of extreme EQ peak right at the filter cutoff point, which emphasizes the "filtered" sound. Because a bass guitar has so little higher frequency content, a vanilla low-pass filter will just make you sound dark; adding a resonant peak will really highlight where the filter is set, especially if you sweep it.

Hachimitsu and HolmeBass like this.
  17. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    that's part of the toolkit in a Helix. If you gig a lot of different sounds (or just enjoy puttering around a mad scientist tone lab), around $450 for a used HX Stomp starts to look like good value for a lot of power.

18. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  19. drwv

drwv

Nov 26, 2019
    WV
    PS: Any wah-wah pedal is basically a resonant low-pass filter with a foot pedal for swept modulation. You may just need to find one with the voicing that you're looking for.

scott sinner, vvvmmm and HolmeBass like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021