1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive and distortion pedal options

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ariff, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    So I am using the VT bass for a nice overdrive sound and I really like the sound I get from it. However we have been writing more stuff that needs more of a distortion\fuzz sound. I really can't stop in the middle of a song and tweak the vt knobs to give me the sounds I need. So I have a few options.. Get a distortion pedal and use it along with the vt bass pedal. Sell the VT bass pedal and get a more versital pedal. I like the option of using as few pedals as I can, less stuff to worry about. I am thinking the Fulltone Bassdriver might be a good option or the homebrew electronics hematoma bass driver. I guess I could also go with the vt programable bass driver.. But I think it is overkill for what I am wanting. Any suggestions out there for me..
    Thanks

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Rusty Box

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    been looking at the wounded paw battering ram

4. this is my favourite combination overdrive/fuzz. Can't part with mine. Its not the best overdrive but still really good. The fuzz/octave is great though :)

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You could sell the vt bass, but you can use the vt bass with a distortion pedal to get a pretty unique sound. I've used a hartke bass attack pedal with a digitech bass driver I got myself a pretty killer sound. the big muff is usually the most popular and over-rated fuzz pedal to use on bass, but there are other fine choices of fuzz and distortion pedals to choose from. if it's fuzz you want, check out the mxr bass fuzz deluxe. this pedal can give you killer fuzz tones without obliterating lows.

6. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    You mentioned that you've been tweaking the VT to give you sound you need. If the VT is giving you two tones that you're after why not trade in the VT for the VT deluxe? Same as the VT but will give you six presets plus a host of other good stuff.

7. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I love running fuzz into the VT. Actually, the Big Bass Muff Pi (though it's not well-liked by some around here) sounds killer going into the VT.

8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    +1 on this, and why not just buy a distortion or fuzz ? Having more than one dirt pedal will never kill you:bag:

9. bassgeek

bassgeek Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Empress Multidrive. Fuzz/OD/Distortion in one pedal. It has two presets of any combination of the three dirt types. Each type has high and low pass filtrrs and there is a really nice 3 band eq with selectable mid frequencies.

I have one preset that's just overdrive, and the other one is all three types.

Covers all my dirt needs.

Don't see them used here too often, but they're all over thegearpage.net

10. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Big +1

I run my VT Bass into my BK3, and then i blend in my Aggie Agro using a boss LS2.

Good Luck!

11. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Wow that Empress Multidrive is cool.. Not sure if I can drop the cash for one though. I also like the Fulltone OCD as a distortion pedal.. Wonder how that would sound with the VT bass? I did think about the VT bass deluxe, since I have the regular Sansamp BDI Deluxe which is pretty nice. I have not really been able to get a good distortion sould out of it. I use it more for our cover band when different tones are needed. I am looking for something a bit more agressive for our original band. But not way over the top.. Some good ideas here, thanks and keep them coming..

12. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    My experience with the VT was that it didn't play well with other pedals if it was set to distort, once the VT is distorting it overwhelms anything you put in to it. So.. rusty box. :D