overdrive at low volumes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sometypeofplay, Mar 23, 2004.

1. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting a nice overdriven tone while keeping the stage volume down. I like the sound of the amp but I have to keep the post at at least 2 o'clock for some nice "snap". The pre is at 12, and the gain is roughly 3. I've tried cranking the gain, and it didn't work. These are the volumes settings where I get, in my ears, the best tone, but it's way too loud for most clubs. I'm using:

Stingrays thru
    GK 700RBII
    with a Peavey 4x10
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    External pedal? Sounds like a good thing to consider. You'll probably never get "exactly" that same tone at lower volumes, but if try long enough you can probably find something that approximates it.
  3. Try an Ibanez Tube Screamer, EH Big Muff, Tech 21 SABDDI, Comptortion, or similar "distortion" pedal through your effects loop (send->pedal "input"->pedal "ouptput"->return). This way you can have the pedal at the lever of overdrive you wish to achieve regardless of the volume of your amplifier. Clipping the transistors on a SS GK head isn't going to sound very nice (IMO) in the first place. Go with a bona-fide distortion pedal!
  4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I run through a Fulltone Bass Drive and then through an Erine Ball volume pedal, into the input of the amp. That way I can turn up the volume on my bass to drive the pedal to sound the way I want, adjust the pedal any way I want, but then reduce the output with the volume pedal or the volume knob on the amp. I have an SVT 4 Pro, which I run clean. The Fulltone has two push buttons, so I have clean, overdrive, and then full distortion.