1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TylerA81, Mar 26, 2013.

1. TylerA81

TylerA81

Mar 26, 2013
    Hi, I'm a starting out beginner and I was wondering if my feedback on my overdrive channel is normal. When I play with the pickup tone knob all the way down there is no buzz what so ever, but when I play with the tone knob up I get a very loud buzzing feedback. I think my overdrive sounds better with the tone all the way up.....but this feedback kills me. Also if it helps my bass has only 1 soap bar humbucker pickup. Thanks!

2. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Good question. The feedback you're getting is because you're being too bada$$. Feedback is a normal byproduct of rock and roll.

Rolling the tone off removes high frequencies from your pickup which reduced the pickup pole signal. That's why it's not so severe with the tone down. Problem is that's far less bada$$.

The best way of busting feedback is to turn your back on your amp as the pickup is the culprit, that's why it's called feedback. If you post what bass and amp you're using I'm sure other forum users will have suggestions.

Turning it down shouldn't be recommended though. That's lame.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Overdrive adds noise, and so does turning up treble, as when you turn up a range of frequencies, it turns up their noise floor as well. You can gate out the noise when you're not playing with a noise gate, but it's always going to be there while you're playing.

And as for feedback, IPYF has you covered, though there are times I really like the sound of a bass with the treble rolled completely off.