1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

overdrive contest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 40Hz_of_Love, Mar 1, 2008.

1. I acquired a new piece of equipment and planned to demo it for you, but when I was recording it I got a better idea - I'll make a contest and make you guess what it is. Any comments about the tone will be appreciated too.

Here's the sample:
    http://centrum.art.pl/varia/overdrive.mp3

I'll post a full demo later if anybody will like that.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Is it a tumor? Do I win a cookie?

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Very sharp attacks there, it's not the EHX Steel Leather is it? I've never heard it so it's a stab in the dark!

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It sounds like a Digitech Bass-Driver.
    It could be a million other things though.

5. You mean it sounds generic?

6. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Not a TS-9, is it? :eyebrow:

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    What bass/rig are you running?

8. KindergardenCop16copy.

It'd be sweet if that was an AMT Communist Pig - it would give me an excuse to buy one.

-Eric

9. It's not an adult toy, is it? :meh:

10. Damn. Yeah, it is a Digitech Bass Driver. You guessed it pretty fast and it saddens me. :(

I had it and Voo Doo Lab Sparkle Drive at home for testing and (I know that in a few seconds some of you will want to crucify me) I preferred the Digitech. Sparkle Drive is supposed to sound dynamic I guess, but all I heard was a clean signal or a really overdriven signal (depends on how hard I hit the string) on low gain settings and a thesame really overdriven signal on higher gain settings. Also I had to mix in a lot of clean signal to keep the lowend. Digitech's overdrive sounds nice and unusual for me, sometimes when I hit a string harder it makes this strange overtone, that sounds like an octave up. You can actually hear it at one point in a sample I uploaded. And it also has distortion and fuzz in it. So I'm surprisingly with Digitech on this one.

But now that you guessed it's Digitech so fast I'm having second thoughts.

EDIT:
    More samples (disto and fuzz) in this thread.

11. Jazz Ad

Yay ! What do I win ? :D
    It's not that it sounds generic. I think this pedal does a great job.
    I said it could be a lot of other things because there are so many dirt pedals available and they can sound very similar.
    The first hint that put me on the track is the way the sound breaks on crunch. It's not very progressive and doesn't break the same on all frequencies. This is usually a digital feature. A straight analogic circuit doesn't behave this way.
    Second hint was how different the tone gets from one part to another. This too suggested digital features.
    Then it sounded like a RAT but not completely and like a Tubescreamer but not completely either. Since these two were inspirations for the Digitech, I thought it could be it.

12. Yeah, man, that was impressive. ;> I'm glad you actually like this pedal. And since you proved yourself overdrive expert - take a look this thread and shed some light on some strange characteristics of more high gain-ish settings of this pedal. Would be swell if you could do that.

Yeah, they did the RAT part right. But actually in Bass Driver advertisements they say that on low gain settings it's supposed to sound like SVT. And - ofcourse - it's not, it sounds like TS and the two are not really alike. It was propably a little bit naive of me to expect SVT grind from a Digitech pedal. ;>

13. Jazz Ad

SVT Grind in a box ? You may want to try these :

[​IMG]

14. Yeah, I heard and I'll definately try one when it comes out around here.