Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

overdrive/distortion with expression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xan, Feb 24, 2005.

1. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    anyone know of an overdrive/distortion pedal that has an expression pedal input that would allow you to alter the drive or gain, stuff like that?

2. yeah, i asked the same question myself before...i believe that there was one, and it was made by Akai. its called the "shred-o-matic" but i hear that it doesn't sound so hot with bass...i've never heard it myself, but it is a cool idea!

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would try out your favorite distortion with some wah pedals placed after the distortion. That way you can can change up your sound if you need to and not be stuck with one sound.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Line 6 DM-4, distortion modler... And it sounds GREAT on bass, Les Claypool is using one now - if its good enough for les, its good enough for me...

Alex

5. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    I picked one of these up last week. It doesn't sound bad for bass, if you tweak it a bit. It'll handle full-on distortion well; right now, I'm not happy with the way mine is cleaning up, so I'm going to try a couple of different tubes in it. The expression pedal is a lot of fun, though. Some overdrive + pedal in volume mode = cool organ sound. :bassist:

Edit: I can try to get some sound samples going if anyone is curious enough.

6. cool!
    i was thinking about picking one up a while ago, but i chickened out.
    hey, just for argument, what would happed if you got two pedals, a distortion and a volume pedal, set the gain to as high as it goes, and put the volume pedal before the distortion. at halfway, wouldn't the signal not be too distorted, almost clean, and as you increase the volume, the overdrive kicks in more and more, thus being an alternate for the shred o matic?

would that work?

EDIT: btw, i am interested in hearing what i passed on...why don't you put a few samples up...

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Yes it would, IN theory... It all depends on how well it cleans up when you roll the volume back... Some pedals do just fine, other not so much.... Fuzz Faces work ok, but FF clones usualy work great because many guitarists see that as a selling feature on fuzzes and overdrives... I can compile a list of boxes that clean up well if you want, but it will take some time...

Alex

8. thanks for the offer, but i don't need a list, i was just wondering if that idea would work...

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    cool, thanks for the feedback.

certainly some good ideas in there. just last night i decided to try out some different sounds. ive never been much of a wah fan but i played around with my me-50b and found some decent sounds, and that got me thinking about the overdrive question. i remember that i once had a zoom multi fx that could do just that, assign the expression pedal to drive and away you go, so i figured there must be some pedal around that does what the zoom did in a stompbox.

its a pity the shredder doesnt sound great with bass, because that silver beast looks really good.

might have to check out this Line 6 modeller. lets hear some samples!

cheers