1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive/distortion with low pass filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I've been doing some reading (by which I mean window shopping) of different effects, and something about the Boss CEB Chorus jumped out at me. Namely, it has a low pass filter, which allows one to apply chorus only to the higher frequencies, leaving the lows dry and clean, to prevent muddying. So then I had an idea:

Why not put one of those filters in an overdrive or distortion pedal, distorting the top and leaving the lows clean? Are there pedals that do this? Am I starting my thinking process on the wrong premises? If so, how?

2. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Boss HF2 High Band Flanger - check it out!

3. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    Uhm...that's a flanger. I was looking for OD/distortion. Cool sound, though!

4. Wounded Paw Black Sheep has separate gains for bass, mid and treble, as does the Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes Fuzz. I know there are others. Oh, Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive, I think it's called

5. Iron Ether QF2 has 4 bands with seperate gain for each.

6. Markbass Distorsore has low and high pass filters.

edit: buuut it's discontinued and appears to be the name of an EQ pedal now.

7. The MB7 distorsore is a distortion with a graphic EQ AFAICanTell.

The Empress Multidrive can be set to have OD/DS/Fuzz applied to different frequency bands.
    There's also a kit on PAiA called the Quadrafuzz.

8. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    FEA Dual Band Distortion.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    low pass only allows lows to pass below filter frequency
    high pass only allows highs to pass above filter frequency

so just in case your looking for pedals that do this it would use a highpass to apply it to the effect only.
    and a lowpass to allow the clean portion for the bass

10. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    Odd, I appear to have looked at the Multidrive before...I wonder why. :p That certainly looks like a sweet pedal!

11. I use the FEA dual band compressor/limiter to keep the lows clean of effects. The low ouput stays clean whilst the highs go through the effects. Completely solved all my problems.

Since you mentioned the Boss CEB-3, I used to use that in the same way as the FEA compressor. Turn the depth and speed to min and just used the low pass filter out to effects with straight through remaining clean.

Obviously a mixer is then needed at the end of the chain.