1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive help needed, ts808, ts9, barber LTD, Tubeblower or Sparkle Drive???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fernando F, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Hey guys, Here I go again:
    I have to decide between these toys and here in Brazil I only found the ts-9 that I could test and I really enjoyed the tone of the overdrive, but I miss the low end.
    Can you give me your impressions about the TS-9 DX, Sparkle Drive, The Barber LTD and the Jacques tube blower?
    I´m looking for a ligth overdrive, warmth, tube like, as I said the ts-9 tone but without the low end loss, true bypass pedals are very welcome too.
    I have to make the right decision cause after I buy one of these I cannot send it back!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Sparkle drive is quite nice. Any way you can get youself a Fulltone Bassdrive? Its the best light warm overdrive for bass I have ever used.

3. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine

Sep 27, 2005
    Canada
    I also recommend the Sparkle Drive.

Its a tube screamer clone but with a blend knob to blend the clean signal in with the overdriven one.

It helps put the low end back into the sound, and give it a nice warm round sound aswell.

I have one here behind me, its very nice.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The TS does sound good on bass, the turbo TS has options with better low end, but your best bet is to buy a blender (look up Barge concepts for a great one) to mix the dirty signal with clean ... or run the dirty sound on a second amp. I've never found a non-blended distortion that sounded great on bass.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I own a TS9DX, but I haven't used it on bass. I have heard it would be great on bass due to the mode knob.

6. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine

Sep 27, 2005
    Canada
    buying a tubescreamer and a blender together could get pricey.

The sparkle drive basicly has a blender built right into it, and wont take up the space of two pedals on a pedalboard.

I am still looking to get mine modded for more bass so that I dont NEED to mix the clean signal in, and the blend knob will just be there to help get a variety of sounds.

7. My website (BassGuitarFX.com) has a video of the Barber LTD Special Recipe. It is a good pedal for "grind" but not so much for "woof"

...But grind is what I wanted. :D

8. Very cool site and video, did you messed with the internal trimpot to adjust the lows?
    anyone have a sample of the sparkle drive on bass?

thanks guys

9. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That sparkle drive sounds cool ... though if you go with a separate blender you can swap out the clipping device to get different sounds as your taste evolves.

11. Does anybody know if the Barber LTD has the JRC 4558 chip inside?
    The Sparkle Drive has it as I´ve seen in the user´s manual.

I still don´t know wich one to choose?!?!?!?!?!?

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Never tried the Barber.
    The Sparkle does nothing for me. It sounds a bit generic, no real personnality and it doesn't break very smoothly, which is annoying in your case. It's either distorted or it isn't, no real crunch tone.
    The TS9 (DX or not) sounds pretty good with bass. As the other mentionned, if will benefit from a mod to help keeping your lows.
    The Jacques can mimic a TS9 perfectly and much more, all while keeping or adding lows. From your list it's the one I'd recommend.
    The Fulltone Bass-Drive is another very valuable candidate, well thought and versatile with awesome crunchy tones.

13. Well, I´m still between the Barber LTD and the Sparkle Drive, there is a guy here in Brazil that told me the Direct Drive would sound more like the TS than the LTD, ant told me that the Sparkle Drive is very light overdrive and then when you mix with the clean signal you barely hear the drive. Anyone can tell me something about it.
    What about the Direct Drive? What´s the difference between th LTD and the DD?

thanks guys

14. Yea. I believe I max'd it out because it sounded more consistent when I turned it off. I also turned the presence off because I really couldn't hear any difference on bass. (I don't use the tweeter on my cab.)

15. Ok Guys, I played trought the Sparkle Drive and it´s not for me, it´s not what I want.
    Now I have to decide between the Barber LTD and the Direct Drive, but there´s no chance for me to test one of those here in Brazil.
    People told me the Direct Drive has more gaing than the LTD but his tone is much more closer for the TS´s than the LTD, and used with low gain sets it´s perfect.
    Anyone can help me?

16. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I just got my Fulltone Bassdrive in this week, and it is amazing. Adds a whole new dimension to my P Bass and my J Bass. I think it is the last O/D pedal I will buy.

You really should think about this one, built specifically to provide warm and versatile overdrive for bass players.

17. Thanks man, I have a Fulltone Bass Drive, and I really enjoy it but as a booster in the comp cut mode, for overdrive I´m looking for a more 'Ts tone', or just to have a second overdrive option on my board. So guys, anyone can tell me something more about the DD and LTD?