1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive. Mad Professor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by logdawg2u4u, Aug 22, 2012.

1. logdawg2u4u

logdawg2u4u

Aug 30, 2011
    I am looking to buy one or two new overdrives, I am not one for super fuzzy and distorted but I would like one with options and just overall great sounding tone. I am looking at the Mad Professor Blueberry bass overdrive and also the way huge pork loin. Any other ideas? Thanks

2. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    Fuzzrocious dark driving, won't regret it if your looking at stated pedal above.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a BlueBerry.

One of the experts here said that there are two BlueBerries. An older and a newer.

This guy knew more about pedals than I ever will but i do like the way mine sounds.

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Yes, the original Blueberry was hand built by BJFE. The Mad Professor version is a little different, or so I'm told. I lucked in to one of the originals. : )

5. The MP blueberry is nothing like the original. It has a lot more gain and can get fuzzy in some settings. The Fuzzrocious Dark Driving is probably the closest thing to the original Blueberry. But for more versatility I recommend you check out the Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon or the Fairfield Barbershop.

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have not been impressed by the new Blueberry.

Here is what I currently own in terms of overdrive and distortion, each pedal has its own tone and is highly recommended.

The classification is aribtrary. For example the Holy Fire is both an overdrive and a distortion but I use it as an overdrive.

Overdrive Electro Harmonix Germanium OD
    Overdrive Stomp Under Foot Bass Drive Fault Line
    Overdrive Audio Creation Holy Fire
    Distortion Aguilar Agro
    Distortion Pigtronix Fat Overdrive
    Distortion TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion
    Distortion Homebrew Electronic Hematoma
    Distortion Hoa Rust Ride
    Distortion Fulltone Bass Drive (2 - Mosfet and pre-Mosfet)

Good luck in your quest.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    While we're talking dirt. What do you folks think of the Emperss Multi Drive.

It surely looks great. How about hands on non-YouTube personal Stories?

8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i recently got a blueberry. i am really enjoying it. it can do subtle overdrive and grit and even get pretty raunchy fuzz sounds. i have mine running in a blend loop, which sounds excellent.

9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The Empress Multi Drive is a very powerful (as in lots of options) and complex unit. The pedal reminded me of the Pigtronix Disnortion. It's an all in gone pedal. In general, I prefer being able to pick up different pedals and put them one after the other. Here it's all in one unit. I thought the tone was generaly modern and a bit stripped. I had the feeling the circuit is so complex that tone gets lost in there.
    That being said my impression are based on a store test, so it might not be relevant.

10. I'm really diggin the fuzzrocious oh see demon. Great sounding overdrive. I played a show this past weekend and didn't feel like luggin my pedal board. It was a Replacments/ Lucero type band, so I just brought my tuner, Vt bass and the OSD. I got alot of compliments on my tone. And the extra gain (25% more compared to the OCD) really came in handy for one song. I can't say enough good things. The DD is cool but I feel like the OSD could get a dark tone +. YMMV but I feel like this pedal deserves more praise

11. +1

OSD is far too underrated on TB. i have tried all of Ryan's dirt pedals and the OSD is a true gem.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Simplicity. There plans for a device called a Bazz Fuss. One transitor.

Everyone who's played it loves it.

That should be my next pedal.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have a BFJE Blueberry. Honestly it's in a league of its own for what it does. However the pedal I would recommend for the OP if he cant get the BJFE (which are very hard to come by) is to forget the MP version and get an [sfx] Micro Red Dragon. It's an amazing pedal for tone improvement and low to mid gain OD.