1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive pedals eq question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TOM274, Apr 25, 2010.

1. TOM274

TOM274

Dec 17, 2007
    Y do some overdrive pedals such as Boss ODB3 and Sansamp bass driver DI left out the mid freq. knob? Is there a purpose for that?
    Also, the sansamp said it can emulate tube amps. Can someone describe what a tube amp sounds like, or maybe some videos for reference?
    Thanks for all your help.

2. TOM274

TOM274

Dec 17, 2007
    How would u describe it compared to non-tube amps?

3. Well I play an Ampeg SVT. Compared to my Eden WT800, which was solid state, the Ampeg has heaps of grind to it. Once you start to play it hard, there is natural distortion as opposed to the super clean hifi sound that modern solid state amps provide.

4. Don't forget the Mesa Boogie grind as a reference, too - to me it's edgier than the Ampeg tone and a bit less smooth, but sounds awesome. I have found Tech 21 products able to cop that tone as well.

Tool's "Undertow" and much of Twiggy's work on APC has that tone.

Listen when he really digs in, the Mesa goes from clean at 1:40 to breaking itself up at 1:57, and then completely saturated on the low note after 2:20:

Some solid state amps have good grind as well, such as Gallien Krueger's 800RB when its turned up loud. Listen to anything on "Appetite for Destruction" for reference, by GNR. It's more of that edgy sound than the Ampeg SVT as well, but I like it.

5. TOM274

TOM274

Dec 17, 2007
    Can any1 explain y they always left out the mid freq. knob?

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Depending on the pedal, it could be built into the Gain or Character/Presence controls.

7. TOM274

TOM274

Dec 17, 2007
    That would be great if i want a rock tone bass. But what if i do slap bass and want a clean sound. Would the popping produce unwanted overdrive on tube amps? Thx

8. TOM274

TOM274

Dec 17, 2007
    So prescence is equivalent to mid range cut/boost?

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on the pedal or amp. Usually "presence" is a boost to the highs or high mids, but there is no set ruling for what it can mean.

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One of the reasons many amps (and amp emulators) leave off the mids knob is because they use a type of EQ where the low and high knobs combine to shape the mids. For example, turning both high and low knobs up effectively cuts the mids, while turning both knobs down will boost the mids. It's called a "Baxendall tone stack". Not every two-band EQ works that way, but it's very common.

11. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I can say that the ODB-3 does not work like that. I has no mids lol

12. spiker

spiker

Nov 29, 2008
    Central Coast NSW Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Puretone Bass strings
    Sansamp BDDI (which i own) certainly operates this way (i.e cutting back both bass & treble yields mid boost, and mid scoop achieved when used vice versa).
    I believe the VT will give you more prominent mids with the dedicated mid control though, from my experience i find this anyway.
    The Boss ODB3 (which i also own) certainly has a high mid/upper harmonic texture to it when cranked, but not much low mids. A lot of people don't this pedal because they try to compensate for the lack of low mids by boosting the bass, which of course just brings the bottom end up.

* Just remember, the 'Ampeg Tube Sound' is achieved by cuttin mids, not boosting them....