Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overdrive/tube sound in one rack unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there such a thing as an overdrive pedal in a rack case? I dont like the Sans amp. I´d like something in the lines of a Fulltone bass drive´s gentle breakup for warmth.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Check out the Chandler Tube Drive. It comes in a pedal and in a rack format. I recently picked up a rack Tube Drive here on TalkBass, and I have been really impressed. I prefer it to my Fulltone Bass-Drive, though the Chandler is a bit noisy.

Tube Works took over prodcution of this unit, and made both pedal and rack mount Tube Drives as well.

3. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I use a TubeWorks RealTube II in my rig.... while I really like the overdrive aspect of the unit it also seems to suck the low end out of the signal, WAY too thin sounding for my ears.... the solution was to split the signal from a SansAmp BDDI (effected signal to the bass amp, dry signal to the RealTube) and bring the RealTube in through the effect loop, then use the effect blend to dial to taste...

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks guys. I´ll look into that overdrive.
    What is the difference between the real tube and the blue tube? They seem to have the same controls.

5. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    OK, This is going very quickly from direct experience to "an educated guess".

I have only actually used (as in gigged with seriously) the RealTube II..... but I have had stompbox versions of both the BlueTube and RealTube... but not at the same time.

As memory serves, the BlueTube had better low-end response but the overdrive was not as "sparkly" as the RealTube. I'd go as far as to say "Farty"..... I do know one guy in town though who uses a BlueTube and a chorus on his keyboard for a fairly convincing Leslie cabinet effect....

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The SWR Interstellar Overdrive might be what you're looking for.
    [​IMG]

7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    you want the SWR IOD.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have owned one. Sounded good but not my sound. Too many knobs IMO. I loved the sound when plugged direct into a cab from the internal 5W poweramp. But that sound was not to be found when connected from the other outputs on the backpanel.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmmm..then how about an Ampeg svp-pro?

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If I had the funds I´d definately go for an SVP-CL as it sound really great. I haven´t tried the SVP-Pro only the SVT-3 Pro head and I did not like that as much as the SVP-CL.

11. Jazz Ad

The SVP-CL won't provide overdrive.

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    IMO it does but not audiable distortion. But enough to make it really warm and not clean anymore. But that is just a matter of how to define "overdrive" and what sounds good to me. ;)

13. Jazz Ad

So you're just looking for a tube preamp rather than an overdrive ?

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not really but I want something to warm up my solidstate amp. If it´s an inexpensive preamp I wont mind. But I want something that does the just overdriven sound where you get a really dynamic sound. While you play softer the sound is clean and when you dig in you get some warm grit.

15. Jazz Ad

This kind of tone is called Crunch. Our fellow thin string blues players love it to death.
    The Tube Works RT-913 would do the trick but it's a bit difficult to find.
    [​IMG]

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Looks just like my Chandler (and it should!).

Tom.

17. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    well give the hughes&kettner bassmaster a try.

you can get it from ebay around 100 to 150 euro i think.
    it is only the half of 19" but you can get these nice extensions to fit it in rack.

that thing rocks!

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    In looking at the available OD's on the market, I'm thinking one of these rack-mount tube units is more what I am looking for. I don't want distortion all the time, just a l'il bluesy crunch to "dirty" my sound. Every once in a while, the nasty, dirty grit is ok... I used to use an ODB-3, however I never got the sound I wanted. It did the distortion just fine, but I could never dial in an adequate "crunch" level that just added some warmth and depth to my sound.

So I am intrigued by the Chandler Tube Drive and the Blue Tube II.

I looked briefly at the SWR IOD, then at the price tag.. *L* not for now, at least... Maybe after my next pay raise...

Back to the Chandler.. I see it has a bypass switch, and a "boost" switch. Does it boost the overall volume or just the drive?

How does it compare to the Blue Tube II? I'm not seeing if the Blue Tube has a "bypass" mode (effectively making it a 4-option OD unit.. Bypass, A, B, A&B stacked)

Thanks for your input folks!!

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I haven't tried the Blue Tube II, so I can't compare there, but the Chandler "boost" switch seems like it is primarily a gain boost, and this has the effect of increasing both volume and drive (at least that's how it sounds to my ears).

While the Chandler is slightly noisy when engaged (which might be an issue in the studio, but it would probably be inaudible live), when it is bypassed, it is quiet as a mouse, and appears to have no impact (detrimental or otherwise) on the signal chain.

Tom.

20. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I a Tube Works RT1904, which is the rackmount version of the Blue Tube. It especially caught my eye because it has both instrument level input/ouput and line level input/output. Making it pretty versitile. It had some cheap 12ax7 in so I popped in an Electro Harmonix 12ax7 and that seemed to make a nice subtle difference. However I have to say that the tone has not been what I am after. I managed to get some pretty good sounds when using a pick, but I hardly ever play with a pick. Its OD is kinda buzzy to my ear, but as it has a variety of tone controls you can dial in quite a bit of variations. As just a Pre it seems to do the tube warmth thing just fine, just can't drive the gain too hard, or it will go into OD pretty quick. Seeing as I am perfectly happy with the pre's in my 400+ this will mostl likely get traded or kept as a recording toy.

[​IMG]