1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive + Tweeter = Bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by autodidact, Dec 11, 2011.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I posted this in the effect section but someone suggest that I move this to Amps so here it is:

2. JHAz

JHAz

Jun 29, 2011
    IME, the highs from a distortion pedal or distorting amp sound, for lack of a better word, ugly, through a tweeter. A tweeterless guitar or bass speaker rolls the ugly off, leaving only the cool.

As far as risking the tweeter, it depends on the amount of power reaching the tweeter, AFAIK. Distortion per se won't kill tweeters (I've cranked guitar amps throuth m JBL PA speakers before, and the world failed to end). But by definition as you make the signal more like a square wave, you increase the high harmonics, thus increasing the demand on the tweeter. Thus it's at least theoretically possible to kill a tweeter with a distorted sound, when a clean sound at the same SPL would not kill the tweeter . . .

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    If I were to disconnect the tweeters I found a Boss 7-band EQ pedal on my local CL. Would that help to bring back the snap that I'd lose from the tweeters during clean parts of songs?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A better solution is a distortion pedal with EQ that allows dialing out the highs that sound nasty through a tweeter, and which also run the risk of blowing it.

5. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
  6. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    My opinion=yes.

7. You can blow a tweeter with heavy loud treble distortion. There is no guarantee this will happen, but the risk is there.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. This fact is what gave rise to the myth of under-powering.
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf