Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by _Nomad, Sep 5, 2005.

1. _Nomad

_Nomad

May 25, 2005
    Meråker, Norway
    Hi,
    My band plays mainly melodic proggish metal, and i'm thinking of buying a boss odb-3 pedal. I'm looking for that Marco Hieatala of nightwish kind of sound, if any of you have heard it. Will the boss give me that? Also, I play almost exclusively fingerstyle. How does this affect the sound? Do I have to play with a pick to make it all sound good?

Cheers,
    Jan

2. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
  3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I recently posted asking if someone could download these clips as I can't and would like ot hear them out of interest.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I think the correct spelling is Marco Hietala.

Someone posted on another forum: "This is off-topic, but when he is using Warwick amps, he uses TECH 21 USA Sans amp rack model for distortion and when he uses Marshall heads, it's only Marshalls pre-amp level and volume. Zac"

Here is that thread...

You may get closer to the sound you are looking for with a Tech21 Bass Driver DI than with the Boss.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/bassdriver.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Tech_21/Bass_Driver_DI-1.html

http://basstasters.com/preamps/bddi.htm

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Distorted guitars. Distorted bass. All playing together. This can be a problem that has led many to play fairly simple bass parts and play with a pick. The problem is that many bass players like a strongly distorted mid scooped sound, but when played in the mix with distorted guitars, the bass just comes out sounding like mush, so people use a pick to add in some treble and some definition.

This is complicated by the sometimes unknown fact that some bass cabinets come with a mid scooped sound. That means that if you hook up a flat amp to some bass speaker cabinets, and set all the knobs to level, the speaker cabinet will not produce volume in the midrange as loud as the bass or treble range.

You need to learn that the sound that sounds good to YOU when you are alone in your bedroom may not be what sounds best mixed with distorted guitars. I think that if you play fingerstyle you may find that less bass, more mids, and only mild distortion sound good OUT THERE. The problem is, how do you know because you are not out there. You need to find a good bass playing friend in your area to listen to you and honestly let you know how you sound in the mix. Maybe the sound guy for the better venues that play your type of music could give you some tips.

I would think you need to develop some strong distortion with down stroke only picking during some parts of some songs, and then the less distortion fingerstile melodic parts will be noticed more. Tell the guitar to play softer and higher up to get out of your way when you play an important melodic part. I find that when bass players say they are playing melodic parts, they start climbing the neck into the guitar players sonic range.

Just some stuff I have heard smarter people than me say.

Some call me Tim.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love my ODB-3, but I must admit that I always run it with a compressor before it - and most-lately an Aphex Xciter too (Boss CS-3 to Xciter to ODB-3). I don't as-much care for the sound with the bass straight into it.

..But it has a nice 'quacky' tone, like I like.

I recently heard a lady bassist in a Chicago 'No Wave' band playing a Jazz into an MXR "Distortion +" into an Ampeg 1X15 combo that sounded VERY good indeed! I (as the house sound-guy) messed with the board channel's sweepable mid to get a little more 'quack', I admit...

Joe