Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 87octane_, Sep 15, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I tried a DOD FX91 Bass Overdrive the other day at the music store, and I turned the blend knob down a little, so that I had mostly clean tone. This seemed to give me a nice deep growly sound. I was, however, playing with an active Ibanez bass through a big Ampeg amp. Was it the bass and amp, or can an overdrive pedal put a little growl into your sound?
    If so, which OD pedal would you recommend out of the Boss ODB-3, the DOD FX91, or the Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed? Please don't give me a "None of the above" answer unless your suggestion is within the same price range and also has a blend knob.
  2. Out of the choices you've mentioned, I'd go with the Phat-Hed PD-7.
  3. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    So can a this type of pedal add growl to my tone with the correct settings?
    What advantages does the Ibanez have over the others?
  4. ill say it for the billionth time. I say go for the boss obd-3, i love it.
  5. Why do you think i kicked my DOD fx91 out to get an ODB-3 ? ;)
  6. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but no one has answered my other question yet. Will it give me a little growl on the cleaner settings? The ODB-3
  7. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Dammit..lol..I accidently hit tab and then space, and that got sent prematurely.
    Anyway, as I was saying, the ODB-3 sounded like it had a little growl on the pedal demo on Boss's site.
    I don't want the pedal if all I can do with it is full on distortion.
  8. Overdrive Facts of Life

I had a Boss ODB-3 for two years and I thought the tone sounded cheesey and cheap. I sold mine for a huge loss just to be rid of it. A real quality overdrive that kicks out the growl is going to cost a little more money.
    You get what you pay for.

Of all the Overdrive units I've tried over the years, the Fulltone Bass Drive is the warmest, smoothest and most 'natural' I've heard. It provides a wonderful *quality* growl that makes a SS amp sound like overdriven tubes. You want an Overdrive that dishes out *sweetness, smoothness and sustain* without losing "string-tone" or losing the ability to "clean-up" when backing off volume, or losing some degree of "touch-sensitivity".

With the 3 pedals you are asking us to choose from, you are going to lose the individual sound of your guitar; you lose the "string tone", and you lose the expressiveness and "organicness" of having a *variable tone*--one that varies depending on your volume, pick attack etc... The Fulltone Bass Drive relies on an "assymetrical clipping" design that produces "sweet" even-order harmonics. And with a True-Bypass switch, when it's off, your gear doesn't lose a thing.

Fact is "Buffered bypasses" and FET footswitches suck life out of your signal when you turn your pedal off.

BTW: You DO want it handmade.

Read some reviews on the net:
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My thinking is along the same lines as Donne Demarest. If the 3 pedals you listed can't provide the sound you want, what is the point in buying something you'll be unhappy with just to save a few bucks? I say save-up a little more money and buy an overdrive pedal that will put a smile on your face every time you switch it on. The Fulltone Bass-Drive seems to be more like the type of overdrive pedal you're looking for. Also, I think the Dredgetone Angler (for bass) is worth taking a hard look at - http://www.dredgetone.com/angler.html
  10. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    What about the ElectroHarmonix Big Muff, I've heard really great things about this pedal. By the way how much would the Bass Drive be?
  11. i concur. is there a reason you can't try this pedal out?
  12. I love the SVP-BSP (now thats raunchy) or the Sans Amp PSA-1 (most tweakable drive) but both expensive the Boss Bass Overdrive is the best in the lower price range good raunchy low mid growl if you like that.