Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cordova, Jan 17, 2002.

1. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    I'm looking for an overdrive pedal to give my tone some added growl and punch.

I don't want fuzz or distortion, I just want to dirty up the sound a little.

What would everyone suggest as the best OD pedal available?

I was looking at either the Ibanez PD7 or Boss ODB-3. Any others you would recommend I check out?

Thanks

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The ODB-3 is not overdrive. It is misnamed by Boss. It is more like a distortion. It is not warm at all. I was very unhappy with mine. I don't have any experience with the PD7, but i would bet it is in the same style.
    If you want a really nice overdrive and a pedal you will kepp for a lifetime try a Fulltone Bassdrive or EBS Multidrive (there may be a few others too). Also do a search here as there are lots of discussion about overdrive pedals
    :D

3. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Thanks muchly, I'll look into those. :)

4. :D
    [​IMG] :D

5. fulltone... im thinking of buying one myself right now.
    DO NOT BUY THE BOSS OR IBANEZ UNITS. YOU WILL REGRET IT.... then again the ibanez tubescreamer is pretty cool for bass to just dirty the sound a little bit... i think the guy from Faith No More used one a lot.

6. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Love that handmade in the USA quality with true bypass and the extra bonus of a boost switch.

8. Blah !

EBS is hand-made by real hot, naked chicks in Sweden.. try to beat that ! :D

9. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Mmmmm....

Swedish chicks...

:D

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Mmmmm....

True Bypass...

:D:D:D

11. SKB

SKB Guest

I have the Boss odb-3 overdrive, and i like it alot. Its really good for my bands kind of music, so i guess it just depends on what kind of music you make.:cool:

12. Although i know this is only half relevant, i actually am friends with the guy who designed the Ibanez Bass distortion pedal. He's in a hardcore band. Go figure he'd design it like that.

13. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Alright, I picked up the Fulltone Bassdrive...

...and it is SWEET!

Thanks guys! :)