Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by olps, Feb 22, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I was thinking of an overdrive, or muff/distortion pedal, or an effects unit, but can't decide. I usually play rock (Primus stuff to heavier stuff), but I laso play jazz stuff in a stage band. What would you recomend, I don't want to spend alot of money? thanks alot.

[Bigfeet: OK, thread revised, reopened, thankyou.]

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh oh....here they come...

QUICK!!! DUCK!!!!

::ducks under table to avoid flying vegies::

3. OK, your all set

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well...i don't think your jazz outfit will require a distortion effect. or any other effect, for that matter (unless you guys play the occasional funk tune where some sort of filter MAY be oppropriate).

was this any help?

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    just get that little zoom 506 pedal for like 70 bux, I love mine

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    noooo, no ZOOM ! ! ! If nothing else don't get the zoom. Don't even get me started...

(and yes I do know what I'm talking about, I have the 708)

7. you tell 'em MontyP

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Haven't you ever heard walking bass w/ distortion? It works great!!! Expecially though URB. :D

9. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Well I have an upright too w/ pickups, but don't need pedal for that. W/ my jazz band we do playa few funk songs.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    walking bass with distortion?

[rubs eyes in astonishment]

WHAAA...?

must be some, like, ultra-modern jazz. i oughta try that out sometime...

olps: try before you buy. you may really love an envelope filter-type pedal. make sure it would be appropriate for your band, though (it sure sucks to have pedals you'll never be able to use).

11. What do you fellas not like about the zoom? I have a 506 and I think it's well worth the money I spent on it, I think it's a much more economical solution than a Bass POD.

And on another note what don't you like about the 708 in general?

12. I think Zooms are cool. They effects aren't great, but they are alright. And they are also useful to help you figure out what effects you want. My only real complain is the wah sucks, the overdrive is awful, and the bass synth is just crazy fuzz... and the defret sucks... hmmm, maybe 506II's aren't great. But they are interesting, with a little tweaking you can get some interesting sounds out of it.

13. I guess my whole thing with the zoom is, you can link effects to get a "different" sound from a lot of other effects processors that are out there.

Anyone els comment on the 708?