Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ichi9, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000

Is overdrive most commonly accomplished with a good bass amp or with a pedal? Do you have any suggestions on how to get a good overdrive tone?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If you dont want to buy a SVT try the Sans amp bass driver, its a pre amp DI box with a drive control, I have tried one and liked it but its a bit pricey. The cheapest option is the Boss ODB3 I have not tried one but someone here really likes em (cant remember who sorry) Either post with ODB3 in the title or use the search facility. In the end you are going to have to try stuff with as much of your gear as possible. Happy hunting.
  3. muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    hey, i use the ODB3, and at first i didnt like it, but you have to learn to really controll the settings; also there are settings in the back of the booklet, but start off on those and change from there... some of them have really high gain which produces bad feedback!!! but it sounds great, and i've even managed to make it sound like a distorted guitar!
  4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I've had bad experiences with Overdive and Distortion pedals - not only the really crappy ones I've owned (which was to be expected by their quality), but even with nicer units. While I personally don't like Overdrive at all for bass (and thus I've never really tried out many things in the way of it), I've been told that the signal-to-noise ratio is quite a bit better on the ones that are built-in to the amps themselves.

For tone, I'd first get a nice rackmount unit that has lots of variables on it: just something so that you can keep the fundamental sound of your bass and add a bit of edge to it. It all depends upon what you want to sound like. Now that I think of it, my old distorion pedal wasn't horrible - it just ate up all of your fundamentals. It sounded like you were playing a low-tuned guitar! If possible, try some different units out so that you can find out what you like.
  5. muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    uhm, well a lot of us dont have loads and loads of money to spend... LIKE ME!!!! anyways i figure if you're short on the change like me, get the pedal, its not horrible.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you have a bi-amped rig you could overdrive just the high end and keep the low end clean. That way you would still have the bottom of the bass and have overdrive.