1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nimu, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    hi there, yes another overdrive thread. i spent the last days here in the forum and on youtube searching for a special overdrive but did not have succes.

i have a very nice sounding squier precision bass which i play over an ampeg micro vr. now i am looking for some kind of drive pedal which at least lets me go into the direction of this wonderful bass sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZSPdN9aTk with my equipment.

all drives, distortions, fuzzes i heard demos from are either some kind of muffing, bassdullsounding or simply much too much thingys. i am looking for something that keeps my basstone and ads this (in my opinion) slight grind in the mid-high-frequency area.

i have no clue how the bassist of grinderman creates it and i even do not care as i do not have a tube amp or something like that.

if someone can suggest any pedal that could make my gear go into that direction i would be very, actually extremely happy :)

have a nice day all you out there!

2. I, too, have been on a quest to find myself the perfect OD pedal. I pretty much narrowed it down to the Darkglass B3k. Now I just have to commit to paying $300 for a pedal. But listen to the clips on YouTube. It is quite amazing.

3. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    yeah i also think the darkglass comes into direction - but i still wonder if it is not too much.

4. Could also try a Pork Loin, but that may be a bit too subtle? On the upside, it is over $100 less than he B3K, even les if purchased used.

5. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    The next step up from a way huge pork loin, in terms of overdrive, would be a way huge green rhino. I went this direction for a little more grind. From the clips I have heard the pork loin sounds a little subtle for my tastes.

6. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    Would the VMT work for this type of sound? Seems like it would nail it but I haven't used one yet. Love Grinderman.