1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdriven bass in blues albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by patton63, Oct 22, 2010.

1. The bass on Buddy Guy's album "Sweet Tea" is pretty gritty and overdriven. I know some critics don't like this album for a variety of reasons, but I really like the feel of the songs and the aggressive tone that is used.

What other blues albums have this type of overdriven bass tone?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. Bump. Any recommendations?

3. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I second this bump. I recently came across this album and the bass and guitar work is phenomenal, just superb. I don't think there are many albums that could capture the bare essence of a Mississippi/Louisiana Blues joint, but this one certainly did.

4. crapshoot

crapshoot

Apr 11, 2007
    All i can say about it is ..... Tubeamps !
    In my own experience a Boss Bluesdriver will get you close enough on a solid state amp.

5. Can't speak for that exact tone (it is gritty and dirty and awesome), but Creamo Liss gets some pretty gnarly grit on Joe Bonamassa's "A New Day Yesterday" album.

Check out Headaches to Heartbreaks or "Don't Burn Down That Bridge" (couldn't find a good link on YouTube) for some nice, dirty bass tone.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't have many blues albums, but the other day I cranked up Los Lobos' Good Morning Aztlan, and the first track, "Done Gone Blue" is a rocking blues rave-up with one of the most gnarly, gritty bass tones I've ever heard. Check it out.

7. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    ZZ Top man, Dusty Hill has a pretty great tone! I once read he described his tone like "a rhino farting in a trash can" :D

8. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Search brought me to this thread.

Can I get this tone (Done Gone Blue) from my tech 21 sansamp vt bass? I am using a Fender P, a Shuttle 6.0 and a Berg AE112.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Cream
    ZZtop

10. GL797

GL797

Dec 3, 2010
    "Baby Please Don't Leave Me" is dropped tuned to C. Even lower than Sabbath's middle albums, so that's pretty low.
    Speaking of Sabbath, check out "Warning" from the first album, my favorite heavy blues song. (This whole album is in E tuning).

11. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    Electric Mud by Muddy Waters has a great, in-your-face bass, slightly overdriven.

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Not blues.. but its Lee Sklar on Lukes Record. Dirty sansAmp

!

13. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Critics that don't like this record only like one kind of blues and that's the commercial kind. I was raised in Mississippi and this is the real deal North Mississippi Hill Country blues as it's still enjoyed today.

While I love Chicago Blues and all its variations, folks should not forget about the gritty side of blues.

14. Also from Buddy Guy's "Midnight train", I don't remember in what cd it was but the bass sound is very overdriven...

15. This is an incredible album and finding this post has brought it back on my radar, big time! Been a while since I slapped on the headphones and listened to this.

If you have never heard it, check out Muddy Water's Hard Again album from 1977! The sound isn't as gritty but it is one of the best blues albums ever recorded and could be my favorite Muddy Waters album ever. The pocket on this album is as deep as they get and the bass has just enough hair on it to qualify as something you should listen to based on looking for blues albums with overdriven bass.

+1 for any of the older ZZ Top albums and by all means listen to one of the 90's ZZ albums that may have been underrated, RHYTHMEEN. Everything about that album is just nasty and there are NO DRUM MACHINES!! Just the band getting back to basics and sounding awesome! Dusty Hill is an incredibly understated bass player that has mastered playing just the right notes for the the tune.

Diggin through my stuff now looking for stuff that would fit what you are looking for. Also check out Roy Buchanan's Messiah On Guitar.

16. Well, if some people are against bass guitarists playing jazz, yet some actually do and sound great... why not? After all music is an art, and despite the rules, creativity should not be limited, IMHO.

I don't have a recommendation, sorry. Just wanted to express myself.

17. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Sweet tea buddy guy hell yeah. His only good album in about 30 years but dang it's right.

18. :confused:

19. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    There's a live BBC show of Johnny Winter's circa late 60s/early 70s on YouTube that has some really dirty, gritty bass sound.