1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdriven sound from SBMM Ray34

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SylvainGirard, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SylvainGirard

SylvainGirard

Dec 19, 2011
    Belgium
    First of all: hi, to everyone, since I'm pretty new here.

Second: I picked up a used SBMM Ray34 on Saturday, unable to test it due to lack of an amp at the guy's place. When I got home I gave it a try. In some configuration though (pot-wise), the thing gives me seriously overdriven (and not normal, imo) tone on the E string, and a bit on the A string as wel. The sound only lasts for about half a second.
    If I turn mids and treble half way down, the sound is gone. Changing the low doesn't matter. If I turn volume down a little bit, I can leave mids and treble wide open.

If you guys have absolutely no idea what I mean, I could probably record the sound, so it would be a little more clear...

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    try a new battery.

3. SylvainGirard

SylvainGirard

Dec 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Didn't work :/

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try lowering the pickup on the bass side?

5. SylvainGirard

SylvainGirard

Dec 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Ok, that didn't work either.

I noticed that the magnets on the PUP for A and D strings are positioned higher in the casing, so that when the height of the strings at the bridge is even, the middle 2 strings will be closer to the magnets. The level of the strings is adjusted accordingly.

I tried different combinations of pot levels and PUP/strings height but none of them seemed to solve the issue.

It also seems that I had my previous description a bit wrong, as I had the pot for bass and treble the other way around. So if I completely turn down bass, there's no problem and if I turn bass up completely and the volume slightly down, there's no problem either.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Could be overdriving the preamp on the amp as well. Having the bass boosted the whole way is sending a LOT of signal out there.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Then it sounds like to much bass frequency is clipping or overdriving your amp, or headphones, or whatever you're running it through.

There shouldn't be any real reason to run a MM style preamp maxed out. Start at the middle detents and go from there.

Just because you 'can' doesn't mean you should or it's optimal to do.

8. SylvainGirard

SylvainGirard

Dec 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Yeah, I figured something like that. Gonna try it on another amp tomorrow.

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Try it on YOUR amp without the preamp knobs maxed, and the knobs on your amp in their 'flat' setting. I bet it's fine.

10. SylvainGirard

SylvainGirard

Dec 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Yeah, it works a treat in that configuration, just figured it had to work maxed out also.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Nope. If your amp is equipped with a clip light, it's probably blinking :D. Otherwise, you're likely clipping the pre/power section, or could even be overdriving the speakers... it's hard to tell which is happening over the internet.

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "my car drives great at normal speeds, so it should also drive great with the gas pedal mashed to the floor" ;)

13. SylvainGirard

SylvainGirard

Dec 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Yeah. Just because
    I can! :)

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, it's not made to work that way. You also should not max out your tone controls. Start off flat and then boost or cut a little. Otherwise your tone will be exaggerated and cartoonish.

That would be like turning your oven all the way up and wondering why your food burned when it needed to be on 250°F. ;)

Also, most amps have an active and passive input. If the bass clips the preamp, try the active input.

15. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    You win, your metaphor is better than mine :)