Overdriving a SWR bass750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Has anybody tried to overdrive the preamp of a bass750. The manual says you need a external preamp to do it. Could it be done with a boost pedal or something similar?
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You mean clipping the preamp?
    I wouldn't suggest that.
  3. Of course I don't wan to clip the preamp, but I would like to get a fatter slightly overdriven sound, which the manual suggest you can get by using a preamp between the bass and the passive input. This way you should be able to overdrive the first tube stage (dunno excactly what that is, though). Just wanted to if anybody had tried it, and how.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Get a Fulltone Bass Drive pedal. Best, most natural bass overdrive I've found. You can't do it right with the head itself.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Get the SWR ISOD.You had to ask?
  6. I was afraid of that answer! Too expensive for me! Haven't anybody tried to overdrive the bass750? If I try, how do I prevent the power amp from clipping, which I believe will fry my speakers...?

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    Turning the GAIN up and clipping the PRE-AMP stage is exactly what you want to do in order to try for an overdriven sound. This shouldn't harm your amp. It's the POWER AMP light that you definately want to keep an eye on.
  8. There's no power amp clip-led, but theres a limiter. guess that willl catch anything harmfull to my speakers!?
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I use a Bass 750 and tried what your trying to do. You could overdrive the preamp, but you won't no when your clipping the power section. The limiter won't take out the clipping from the power amp. It's best just to get a overdrive pedal like the Sansamp.
  10. Thanks Fastslapper! I guess I'll try to get the overdrive somewhere else!
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have a SWR sm 400s and the only way to overdrive the amp is a stompbox or a preamp. i have great results with a Tubrman by hughes and kettner 1 rack space preamp that kicks!! 100$ used. 3 channel, i can bypass it or use the clean channel for a different clean setting, then i have the crunch for slightly overdriven sounds and the lead channel that i use for overdrive or distortion. i highly recommend this unit. other unit that is great for this is the midi tube preamp marshall jmp 1. they are designed for guitar (both the tubeman and the jmp 1) but the sounds great with bass, no low end loss, i assure!