Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overdriving a tube compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Apr 7, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Quick question. Is it possible to overdrive a tube compressor (think EH black finger) with a boost pedal to get overdrive or even distortion. Like pushing the input of a tube amp past unity gain? would the result sound like an overdriven tube amp or a massive S**T sandwich? :eyebrow:

thanks Guys.

~MIke

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Black finger has a Gain knob so it can be overdriven with good results. This is what I´ve read here somewhere but I have not tried this pedal myself. Id love to find one locally.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    But what about SLAMMING the front end with gain! to almost get a square wave sound. Would the noise level simply be unbearable? Plus I would set the comp for unity gain (maybe just a little hair) and then use the boost pedal to clip the unit. I wish I could simply try it out but if anyone out there has a black finger and a boost pedal (that extends down to atleast 45hz) I would love to hear your reports. If the black finger is a tube circuit run at full plate voltage, I don't see why it won't respond to a massive dB boost like a tube amp would.
    Hmmmmm.

Black finger owners unite!

~MIke

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    +1 :D

Im also interested in this pedal for some tube warmth and drive.

5. I luv my blackfinger. Very warm and transparent compression.

To me, the input gain control seems to act like a threshold control. What happens (at least for me) when you try to slam it with high levels is the compression starts to become very non-transparent. It doesn't seem to want to overdrive like a preamp would. Instead it just starts pumping and breathing, and not in a particularly pleasing way, IMO.

But, it is still a really awesome compressor! I think if you added some decent transformers (i.e. jensen, lundhal, etc...), XLR jacks and cool looking VU meters, you would just about have yourself one of these...
    [​IMG]

~ Charlie