Overdriving a tube preamp vs.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WarPig, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Hi......I just picked up a new Ampeg SVP Pro and I was wondering, if I use the preamp to create an overdrive sound, will I burn out its 12ax7 tubes fast?

If thats the case I'll pick up a good overdrive pedal and save the life of the tubes.........

:D commments? opinions? rude noises :eek:

2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I don't think you'll need to worry about it. You might burn the tube out faster than you would using a pedal, but there are some SVT heads out there that are still on their original set of preamp tubes! Those things can last forever practically. Also since there is only 1 in the SVP Pro you'd be looking at $20 or so to replace it.

You bought the Tube Preamp to sound like a tube preamp, why cover it with a pedal. Crank it up and let it do its job.
  3. The SVP Pro documents boast 4 12ax7 and 1 12au7 tubes.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Crank it.. What's the point of having the tubes if your not gonna use them how you want to? Pre tubes last for ever and if in the many years ahead, you need to replace them, then it will probably be a good thing, because then you can put in some good tubes.
  5. Are the stock tubes from Ampeg crap?

I'll replace them now if they're fubar......... :confused:

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Stock tubes in mass produced gear are usually cheap tubes that happen to work. Sometimes they work well, sometimes not, I wouldn't change them if the unit was working OK and sounded good without much extra noise, but I'm pretty cheap. The SVP Pro was MADE for tube overdrive, crank it up!
  7. :DI'll let 'em burn.......Thanks.........d.g
  8. An overdrive pedal is meant to push the tubes harder for more gain.....it basically does the same thing as turning the gain up on the amp, only they usually add a bit of dirt on their own too.

Fire 'em up.

FWIW - I've been running the same set of preamp tubes in my Rectifier for almost two years and they're still going strong. :)