Overdriving amp head question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Aug 7, 2013.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ok so i have a 250 watt solid state head that i've been overdriving but i'm worried about blowing my cab due to a higher output from my head (its a 300 watt cab). So basically my question is when you overdrive a head is the output wattage higher that what it's rated at? Also if so by how much would i be raising the output, would it be just a couple watts, 50 extra watts, or doubled? Specifically i would like to know if its safe to turn up the master to 10 while its clipping out like a fuzz box from having the pre dimed with a hot bass without blowing my cab.

2. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

Feb 11, 2008
    Cardiff UK
    What amp, and what cab?

3. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Hartke HA2500 (250 watt ss) head with a Marshall MBC115 (300 watt 1x15) cab.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Be carefull listen to your speakers. They will tell you when they have had enough.

5. No it isn't safe. Good luck hearing dying speaker over overdriving solid state.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    A 250w SS head can put out twice that in overdriven tones derived from cranking the output stage. Not a good idea.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You need to double up on spkr count if you want to do this safely. Another identical 15.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A good rule of thumb is that the cab should have double the RMS capacity of the amp. So in your case, a 500W cab would be better.

It depends on how high you dial in the low end EQ. THe cab will cope a bit better with less low end.

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    If you like so much crunch, why not add a pedal or pre and let the amp run without overdriving a ss power section?:)
    If it's the result of needing the volume, then the second speaker will fix it.
    If it's for your "tone sweet spot", try something in front of the amp, it would cost less than another cab, too.;)

10. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    I'm actually using an ODB-3 into a Russian Big Muff before the overdriven head (the pedals don't boost the signal though, they're levels are set low). I like the tone i get out of the combination; its a very thick, fuzzy,gritty, and dynamic tone. I've tried replicating it with no luck so far and don't wan't to go on some sort of quest to find the right pedal which might not exist. I'll look into getting a higher rated cab and possible another head though that would leave me plenty of room for driving the head. I would like get another 1x15 to match the one i have but it's a 4ohm and it's a discontinued model ( i don't want buy a used cab) so i can't really do that.

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    You know what? If you like the amount of overdrive you get from driving a really fuzzy pedal into another really really fuzzy pedal into an amp pushed too hard it sounds to me like you're the one guy in the world that the Ampeg Billy Sheehan Preamp unit might actually work for.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021