1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdriving orange crush 35b solid state amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barach713, Jun 27, 2016.

1. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    so couple of days ago i played around with my orange home amp..and i placed two wah pedals with level controls before it...clean...and i had one all the way up one all the way down to get like a regular bass tone...and i cranked up volume knob on both pedals and gain on the amp and rolled off master volume of the amp and i got instant cliff burton master of puppets tone..i improvised boost pedal...thing is..i love the sound i got...and i could probably get the same sound with a gain boost pedal...really responsive dynamics..harder you play more distorted it gets..punchy as hell..sounds like orange tube amps with gain cranked up...but im affraid i can blow speakers or something because its solid state...could you please tell me if its safe to do it..thanks

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    You're not going to blow up speakers because its solid state. Blowing up speakers has nothing to do with an amp being solid state, tube, or class d. You blow up speakers when you use them incorrectly and ride them too hard. You can do this by feeding them more wattage than theyre labeled for, but since you have a combo that isn't a concern for you. What can concern you is you EQing the amp in a way or running something with a signal so hot it damages them. Trust your ears. If you hear the amp sound like its speakers are farting out, turn down or change something (EQ, pedal settings, etc).

3. If you hear the amp hissing afterwards with no cable plugged in, yes you could damage the junctions of opamps with too hot a signal. If the combo's speaker can take the strain, I have no idea.

4. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    i think it would be safer to just buy tube like overdrive..thanks for the respond guys

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    35 watt practice amp with a 12" speaker? You should be fine as long as you're not trying to push a lot of low bass. Especially since you stated you had the master volume turned down...you're hearing preamp distortion, and since this amp has a gain control, I doubt you can hurt the amp by overdriving the preamp.

6. barach713

barach713

Jan 17, 2016
    Hope you are right, guess i will play around and see