overdriving the Hartke HA2000 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dace, Nov 26, 2002.

1. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i'm thinking about getting the HA2000, but i want to try get a head that can produce a pushed/overdriven tube sound. anyone actually achieved that sound out of the HA2000?

can you actually overdrive the tube and s.s pre-amps? i suppose cranking enough gain to get distortion from the channel is out the question?

if i can't get the overdriven tube sound and/or a bit of distortion out of it, i might have to get a separate pre-amp...
  2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Dont think it will do overdrive.. my ha3500 dosent. have you looked at gallien krueger? the 400rbII does a decent overdrive apparently, or for the price of a ha2000 and a pre-amp you could get a gk 700RB.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Why don't you just think of getting an OD effect?
  4. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i had one for about 5 years. it definitely doesnt do overdrive. if you do clip the pre, even the tube side(i rarely used the ss side) it sounds like your speakers are shredding. its a great amp for clean sounds(ask zulu about the BE210/15 setup we had going) but other than that, dont bother. ive even run several different OD/distortion pedals thru it and a hartke 2.5XL, and the results werent impressive. look at ampeg if youre looking for overdriven sounds, or check out an SWR IOD
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    That was a sweet rig for what we had going on.
    In the same room as a DB750 too.
    Even picked up local TV!!!

How about the SWR IOD? I mean the thing was built for overdrive. Wasn't it?

I tried the BSP too. I agree, good pre for distortion, but pretty limited for my needs.

How about the MoBass too? I know it gets slammed alot around here, but I thought its overdrive was pretty nasty. Well, along with everything else on board, you've surely got the ability to get more strange noises then you'll ever get from any head. The resale price on those have dropped quite a bit and you can probably pick a used one up for around $1200.