1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overhaulin': '91 Jazz Plus V Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinoadventures, Feb 1, 2017.

1. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Decided to show some love to my '91 Jazz Plus V. These were the precursors to the American Deluxe series and came from Fender as oddball parts basses. They came with Lace Sensor pickups, the preamp out of the Kubicki Factor bass, and Gotoh hardware. Bizarre. The body is slightly smaller than a normal jazz with narrower string spacing (~17mm) and the neck is faster and flatter. They had the same funky Kubicki knobs too. Since it has been very good to me and the only real Fender parts were the body and neck, I took it down to the wood and replaced everything (kept the originals, of course).

Here's a picture of the preamp madness that used to live in there. I was getting tired of regularly cleaning the old plastic pots whenever they'd cut out.
    kubicki-banda-tempo2.

Janky "before" picture of the whole thing:

This neck has seen a LOT of funk:
    IMG_20170131_234352.

Everything stripped out:
    IMG_20170126_145050_614.

Custom Nordstrand stealth black J blade pickups

New Darkglass preamp (vol/vol, mid/mid, bass-pull for passive mode):
    IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_20170131_234128.

New black USA Hipshot parts, as it should have had from the factory.

IMG_0209.JPG

Replaced the two black plastic string trees with a single four string one

All done!

IMG_20170131_233518.

I wanted to keep a lot of the same modern bright and clear tone but add a lot of flexibility and the new electronics definitely did that. It's a little less pristine hi-fi and a bit more rock and roll now. Having an actually useful mid EQ instead of ridiculous 40Hz bass/6kHz treble knobs is awesome. The passive mode sounds huge too. It does have the 60 cycle hum that Jazzes have now but it sounds so fat I don't care. Super fast, super fun to play and ready for another 26+ years of the funk.

tubatodd, ICM, bassomane and 4 others like this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great looking bass, good job!

dinoadventures likes this.
  3. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice job! I bought the sunburst version of that bass brand new in early 92. The B string was a little weak on mine or I would probably still have it. Kept it for over 10 years though..

4. BassByBaldSteve

BassByBaldSteve Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Aguilar Amplification
    Great mods! Been dying to try those Nordstrand's.

I've got a jazz bass plus v coming in from AZ that should be arriving Tuesday. Needs a refinish, but I'll be swapping out parts like you did asap, maybe even the pre and pups, too, depending on how it functions.

Are those tuners the 3/8" or the 1/2"?

5. dinoadventures

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    They're 3/8.

I'd definitely put some serious consideration into keeping the stock electronics if they work well. There's nothing quite like that setup... quintessentially hifi and super clear. Might just be mostly the pickups tho.

BassByBaldSteve likes this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Like the string tree!

7. BassByBaldSteve

Nov 17, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks, man! Yeah, I'm really hoping that Kubicki pre is in good shape. That's the main reason I bought it.

8. BassByBaldSteve

Nov 17, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Update: got the bass, and the sound is insane. Holy crap - it's huge and can go from ultra modern thump to passive growl with no problem. That second active mode, with the mid-boost kills. It's dead quiet, too, so it must be one of the ones that was grounded correctly.

Anyway, took it apart and am shipping the body to Pickguardian for a J-bass guard to get cut, swapping out the gotoh tuners for hipshot lollys, adding a brass nut, and like you, putting on metal string retainers.

Killer bass. That neck is lethal.

9. dinoadventures

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    That's accurate. It makes a Stingray sound like mud by comparison. The neck is as fast as fives get, no question. There are more comfortable necks but there are none faster.

BassByBaldSteve likes this.
  10. BassByBaldSteve

Nov 17, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Exactly. I couldn't believe how fast it plays.