1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overhauling a J-Bass & cheapos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RapierSix, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I have a 97' J bass and I am wondering if it would be worth it to completely overhaul it. It has this beautiful deep red/pink/purple color depending on lighting and a creme pickguard so I am thinking of replacing every part (Or buying the upgraded parts) in gold.

What I would be planning to get (With everything in gold) is...

-DiMarzio Model J pups
    -Leo Quan Badass III bridge (Grooved or Ungroved. Will strings wear a groove in ungrooved and ruin the gold plating?)
    -Gold mounting screws
    -Gold tuning plate
    -New input jack (Upon being inspected)
    - Replacement knobs
    - Gold Tuners (Already own)

Is there anything I am missing for the overhaul? Is it even worth putting in the extra money if I could just buy a "better" bass? And lastly Deep red/purple body + creme pickguard + gold hardware = sweet and maybe even "pimp"?

Also what about buying a cheap bass with neck-thru, good woods, and good electronics (If that combo can even exist in a cheap bass), and then just adding quality parts to it.

This idea I based off playing racing games where you would buy the cheapest starter car and as a result have more money leftover which would be put back into the cheap car making it better than it's cost equivalent.

But with this couldn't you just get a pre-made body thats painted and have a luthier assemble the parts and it possibly be cheaper?

I would also like to apologize if this isn't the right section, was unsure between bass, luthier, setup, etc.