1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overhauling Ibanez SDGR SR305 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PowerBob, Apr 27, 2009.

1. PowerBob

PowerBob

Apr 27, 2009
    Hey guys after playing a 4 string for about nine years i have finally bought a 5 string and im looking to overhaul certain aspects of the bass over the next few months. I need you suggestions and opinions for some of the parts im thinking about changing out

Pickups-Looking for a more modern sound but with clear harmonics

Tuning keys- Gotoh or Hipshot?

Active pre-amp- Is aguilar the best? or does anyone else have any other suggestions

Bridge- I have read reviews that the basses stock bridge has been known to have problems, any suggestions, Badass? Hipshot? etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. I'm not noting any issues with my Soundgear 400 bridges; 3 old & one newer. Not sure what the reported issues would be, but there might be extremely cheap & easy fixes.

That's a lot of upgrades. (I assume hot-rodding is part of the fun. It's not for me & my opinion comes from that; hence YMMV.) It reads like this is your first 5. I suggest you consider going with the bass as-is for awhile, & the upgrade $$ might better go towards upgrading the whole bass.

3. PowerBob

PowerBob

Apr 27, 2009
    Yeah i know what you mean but i really think new pickups could do a lot for it and i still am wondering how much of a difference new tuning machines can make on a bass as opposed to cheaper ones

4. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I've updated tuners in the past, on my Fenders. I've only used Hipshot, but it was a nice upgrade. Tuning is more precise and better tuners are usually a little lighter.
    If you find any bridges that fit an Ibanez SR 4 string bass, let me know.

5. PowerBob

PowerBob

Apr 27, 2009
    thanks for the input, did you try looking at the bridges hipshot offers for basses for your soundgear?

6. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I was looking at the Trans tone bridge, but I'm not sure about the measurements. I emailed them this afternoon for further info.

7. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida

Just David has a good point. However, I have an old SR that I really like. It has that hi-fi artificial tone that I like to have in my collection. I plan to install HS Ultralites, EMG P and EMG BQC system. Instead of the J pickup, I was going to rout out a larger cavity for an EMG 35DC.

I saw this bass and it inspired me.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-John-Campbell-Bass?sku=520312