1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overhead Luggage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fingerguy, Dec 12, 2018.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    For those that fly and prefer to put their luggage in the overhead bin versus check-in please chime in this post. No interest in checking in my luggage, if that was a focus here I would just use my large duffle bag.

Now onto the question, I am looking and looking to replace my hated overhead suitcase that I donated. But now I just can't find something that tickles my fancy.

It has to store a lot and allow me to store some nice clothes and not get them wrinkled.

2. I don't fly too often so I just have a cheapo small suitcase for when I need to take quick work trips. Really, your budget will determine what you may want, along with how long you want to keep it. My sister in law flies often for leisure and never checks a bag. She uses some random carry on she got at TJ Maxx for like $50 but has held up well for at least five years with 5-10 flights per year. If you want something that has the most room available and will last forever, take a look at the Stealth 22" Pilot Rolling Bag. As the name suggests it is what a lot of commercial pilots use for their luggage. It's apparently the largest bag that qualifies as a carry on and will last forever. It is price though, usually around $300.

MJ5150 likes this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I swear by Red Oxx, yes two x's at the end. It's well made in the USA, and they hold lots.
    The wife swears by Travelpro.
    Both are on the expensive end of luggage, but our purchases were made 8-9 years ago when we both traveled by plane weekly, and wanted something durable and practical.
    Even today, they still look brand new.

-Mike

4. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    Briggs and Riley make some great luggage. One tip is that 4 wheels is so much easier to maneuver than 2.

PillO likes this.
  5. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I was actually thinking of focusing on the 8 wheel ones.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  6. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My wife has the Briggs and Riley and it is good quality at a relatively good price. I travel on planes almost weekly and I have had good luck with the genius pack stuff too. Lots of compartments for different stuff, pretty good quality and it is really not expensive at all. In fact, I just saw where they are having some Christmas deals on their hard sides luggage.
    PS - as much as I travel I beat the hell out of my stuff and this has held up ok.
    So if you want to drop some money on more “investment” luggage the Briggs and Riley is really a value for the price point. But if you are looking for something that is good quality and travels well, I’d recommend you at least look at the Genius Pack.

7. maxmaroon

maxmaroon

Oct 25, 2010
    New England
    The last one I used when I was traveling for work was a Timbuk2: I liked the skateboard wheel setup better than the others I have had. I made sure I bought a size that would comply with every major airline but they would often check it anyway because they would claim the overheads were full (sometimes they were, sometimes they were not) and it would drive me nuts because I was often on real tight timelines.

8. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Wait... am I an idiot or are you messing with my head? Or both? I'm trying to visualize the viability of 8 wheels.

9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I use Pelican Case luggage. I have to fly a lot and carry some odd stuff that I do not wand broken. I got a case that is the maximum overhead size and another that is the maximum checked size. They are both orange, which means they are easy to find. The got a little scruffy looking pretty fast, but TSA and baggage handlers have not broken them. Those guys break everything. They broke the wheels off my previous case almost immediately. I am happy with these.

10. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Just an example.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  11. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Oooooh! Okay that makes way more sense than what I had in my head. That looks slick with the rollerblade wheels. Just never seen that configuration. Thanks for the info!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  12. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I don’t travel for business anymore so I don’t care what my clothes look like after being crammed into an overhead. When I do travel by air, I do so with my wife who packs a small travel iron that breaks down into an even smaller bag. She loves to iron - I think it’s therapeutic for her - so I usually cram my stuff (or stuff my cram) into a squishable duffel, but that prolly doesn’t solve your problem.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. I was thinking this.

s-l5008.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  14. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Not sure about the outgoing flight, but I always liked to pack my old and wrinkled clothing in a checked bag on the return flight. Then I could just have a light backpack to carry with me on the return flight and I wouldn't have to worry so much about the clothes. Even if (hypothetically) they didn't show up at the terminal I could just check back later since I would be home and wouldn't need them right away.

15. Why not get a smaller duffel bag? North Face, Mountain Equipment and other outdoor brands make indestructible kit. Less ideal for carrying a laptop though.

16. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I was thinking of something far more bizarre and ungainly. What I had in mind would never fit in overhead luggage. Like a strange metal spider with wheels for feet.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just have an Olympia bag. It has plastic sides, so it slides in and out of the overhead easily. I'm also VERY fond of casters which go 360 degrees. Very handy.

I don't see overhead bags as a big deal. Just go down to Ross or TJ Maxx and pick the one that suits you best.

18. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I use to fly a lot. Way more than I wanted to due to the occupation. A lot of long and short flights. And my take on luggage is, bring as little as possible, and carry on only what you need. If you can get by without it, leave it. And buy simple common goods at your destination. And if you buy too much, mail it home.

Now that I don't need to fly, I avoid it at all cost. I hate flying.

MJ5150 likes this.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Flying used to be interesting, and maybe even a bit of fun. Now it's a continual exercise in "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

MJ5150 likes this.