Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

overheating question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kuntacore, Mar 10, 2001.

1. kuntacore

kuntacore

Feb 26, 2001
    I am currently using a firebass 2 with a 115 bw enclosure, and a 210 tvx enclosure. i have a small problem of the amp overheating when i turn the volume up past 5. i was wondering to fix this if i should either:
    a) get bigger cabnets (ie: a 410 instead of the 115)
    b) get an extra power amp
    c) none of the above

thanx.

2. What's the impedance of your cabs?

What's the rated output impedance of your amp?

Chris

3. kuntacore

kuntacore

Feb 26, 2001
    on the firebass 2 it is 2 ohms into 700 watts, and my cabs are 4 ohms each

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

your head is rated at 700 watts@2 ohm? Is that what your saying? And how many watts is your cab?

Im not quite sure I'm reading what you said right.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    By overheating do you mean that it heats up to the point of shutting down? I've owned Peavey heads rated to 2 ohms and have run them so and, while the amp did get hotter, it never caused me a problem.

Any amp, assuming you're running it within the specified specs, will run hotter at a lower load. If it really concerns you, you may want to trade the 4 ohm cabs in for 2 8 ohm cabs so that your total load is 4.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I think even the amps that are rated at two ohms will get hot if you actually make them do it. It's more like the manufacturers are saying "700 watts into 2 ohms, if you're brave enough to try it."

Reminds me of an old drag racing motto that the top fuelers used to say: "100 percent at least once." This was in reference to the concentration of nitromethane they ran. It MIGHT be OK just one time ... maybe even twice ... ha ha ha.

7. kuntacore

kuntacore

Feb 26, 2001
    if i trade the 2 4 ohm cabs in for 2 8 ohm cabs, will that greatly decrease my volume? or will i be able to play louder since my amp won't overheat at as low of a volume.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Just looked over the Firebass manual and is says you'll get 475W into 4 ohms......just over 235W into each 8 ohm cab. That's down from 350W into each cab.

I imagine that you won't notice the volume loss so much as you'll be pushing the amp a bit harder, you'll have less headroom. Probably get more distortion.

So I take it your amp is shutting down on its own?