1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

overloaded signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tumpinjahosafat, Aug 18, 2007.

1. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    so it would appear that my pedal chain has diminished my tone. So i got the Boss EQ pedal and it helps but when i boost the volume it just gets really distorted. Im running my bass to my pedals straight to my front input jack on my amp. Does running a pedal chain into the input jack compared to the effects loop help in securing my tone? Any suggestions for getting rid of the noise from the pedals and keeping my tone untouched? Im running through mostly true bypass pedals so it couldnt really be that. Also im lookin into the boss NS-1 noise suppressor, but i hear the EHX hum debugger is good, what do you guys think? thanks alot peace

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Uh... I don't think you realize what the problems actually are. You're going about it the wrong way.

First of all... what's your entire chain? Bass and amp inlcuded? List it out, and I'll walk you through a solution.

3. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    bass > whammy > boss overdrive > boss eq > boss flanger > digitech digi delay > mxr phase 90 > digitech bass synth wah > Line 6 DL-4 > nemesis bass head 600W > Acme Low-B 4x10 Cab.

I got the power supplies plugged into a power strip which goes into a wall outlet. I got 8 pedals running on my DC brick. And my whammy and Line 6 both have their own adapters.

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Dude, the Boss OD, EQ, Flange, Digidelay, MXR, and BSW are not true bypass.
    And an EQ isn't used to "restore tone". Running the effects through the effects loop would not make a difference in the way you want it to. Suggestion: true bypass strip/loop.

5. Is each pedal passing unity gain? Don't slam the input of your amp too hard or you're going to get distortion. If you're talking about losing tone:

1. Get better pedals.
    2. Get a true bypass loop.

6. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    true bypass as in all the pedals are true bypass?

are you telling me theres no way to eliminate loss of tone i get from these pedals. A noise suppressor works for the noise but i wanna retain my tone. Does active electronics make notable difference? maybe i passive bass

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ah... only one of your pedals is true bypass, I think (the DL-4). The rest are NOT true bypass.

Now, a good buffered bypass isn't a bad thing (I love a good buffered bypass). But the fact of the matter is, NONE of those pedals you have (except the DL-4) have a stellar bypass buffer. Decent, but not great.

Plus, all of your pedals are known for some degrees of noise, but they're all not bad, IME. Of course, combining them can escalate the noise, especially if your bass' pickups are already noisy.

Regarding the effects loop: don't use it for these pedals. A few (like the DL-4) should work fine in the loop, but the others will be likely slammed by the input of the preamp and distort. That, and it'll probably also drop the preamp's output. It's the opposite of what you want.

The NS-2 can help with the noise these pedals are generating (mostly by suppressing it between notes), but it won't get rid of it, and it won't solve tone issues. The EHX Hum Debugger only helps with pickup hum, so unless your bass has noisy pickups, it won't help you.

Keith's advice is good - play around with input levels, explore other pedals to replace some of the ones you've got, etc. but if you like them, get a true bypass loop pedal to keep them out of your signal chain when they're not in use. It's the perfect solution.

Some of the pedals you've got are ones that I love (like the BF-2), so I wouldn't go replacing pedals just yet. But definitely consider your alternatives!

And regarding active electronics... they'll be affected by those pedals, too, you know...

8. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    If the Whammy he has is a IV, then it's true bypass.

tump, what bass and amplifier are you using?

9. Just for clarity:

Your pedals are not true bypass (except for the Line 6) and whenever you turn them off your signal is still going through a circut that can degrade your tone.

True bypass pedals are wired so that when off... the input goes right to the output.

The true bypass loopers that people have suggested look like this:

Five%20Loop%20TBB%20982005.

You put each pedal in a loop and leave it on. You then use the footswitch on the looper to turn the effect on or off.

It is a simple solution to make each of your pedals "true bypass"

10. Don't be so quick to blame the EQ pedal, the distortion could be coming from just about anywhere in your signal chain!

11. what's the DC brick rated at? How much power are all the pedals drawing?

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

+1

+1

:)

13. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    lame that i look like a douce but now i know, appreciate it guys. Im gunna get hooked up with one of those t/b loopers. I was experimenting with combinations today and found out that while engaged my bass synth wah acts as a noise suppressor. Its crazy to see how pedals work together, its ****in endless. props

14. No problem. That is why I donate to TalkBass. I've learned so much here that it is worth the $20.00 a year. :D

15. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    i feel ya dude, knowlege is power. How do you guys rep in this forum

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    No rep function in this forum.

But we can certainly pretend there is :D

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm throwing gang signs at my computer screen right now. Represent!

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

Normally, I'd be advising you to duck and cover to avoid a drive-by. But since you live in Oregon... just lock your door and pray the Jehovah's Witnesses didn't see you :p

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    My guess is that the distortion is coming from at least one of your pedals having too much juice coming at it (probably the ones after the EQ pedal). So here's my suggestion and it doesn't involve buying new pedals: put the EQ at the end of the chain right before your amp. Adjust the levels so you get a pretty balanced level coming out and then adjust the EQ levels and output level on the EQ pedal.

20. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006

ya man, i was thinkin about that last night and plan on trying it today when i get out of work. Ill let you know how it went.

And, MysticBoo, you wouldnt know fear until your involved in a drive by in Oregon with Jahovas Witnesses shooting at you....:bag: