1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Overly harmonic E string on Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigKD, Oct 29, 2017.

1. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I've got a Lakland 55-02 that seems to have a certain harmonic that is ringing out way too much on the open E string. Fretted notes sound fine on this string. This is all acoustic BTW. I haven't even wired the new pickups yet.

Any thoughts what might be causing this? Possibly an issue with the nut?

2. Twisted string, perhaps?

Ikkir likes this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This

4. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Shouldn't this also affect fretted notes?

5. It's likely just more noticeable on the open string, since this is purely acoustic right now. If it is a twisted string, you will notice it on fretted notes too once it's wired.

6. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I did loosen the string and re-seat it. Set the witness points. Same problem.

So I removed the newer .107 string that is mounted to the bridge and replaced it with the original .100 string that came with the bass and goes all the way through the body. Sounds fine now based on initial impressions.

So I don't know if I still have a twisted string issue or if maybe the string is actually a dud. What is equally perplexing is that the original strings are D'Addarios that are not available direct to consumers but are sold in bulk to manufacturers like Lakland. And the mfg version of the strings sound better in all regards to me compared to the stuff I can get from Bass Strings Online, etc.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021