Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

overpowered cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, May 21, 2003.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hi,
    I play an SVT 2 pro, with two cabs. A 4x10" that is a 800W rms cabinet, and a 1x15" Cab, with 200W rms. Someone tell that a cab much powerfull is a problem for the head. Actually I send 300W (15 Watts to the 4x10" and 150 to the 1x15" cab). Can it damage my head?And if is possible...how is it possible??
    thank You

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have never heard of a more powerful cab hurting a head. I suspect what the person meant is that a more powerful head could hurt a head. That much is true.

3. Terraplane: Your setup is fine, you won't damage your head by doing that and it's extremely unlikely that you'll damage your cabinets either.
    Everything is cool!:D

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    only thing likley to damage a head is trying it to push a 2 ohm load when it is only rated for 4 ohms,(or the deadly sin of using guitar cable in place or speaker cable)

Otherwise ya wont hurt hurt cabinets designed to handle more wattage than your amp can put out.

and fwiw, more cabinets rated for 400 watts rms have been damaged by a clipping 100 watt amp, than have ever being damaged by a 1000 watt amp used judiciously