Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

overpowering speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timv, Jun 17, 2002.

1. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I have a Ampeg SVT 8x10 classic cabinet. It is rated for 800 watts at 4 ohms and max of 1600. I am using a QSC 1850HD power amp bridged to 1800 watts. The first couple times I played it, I left the filter on the power amp turned off and my cabinet ended up making a weird pop sound when i turned up loud which i figured out was too much low notes going to a cabinet whose lowest frequency is around 40HZ. I tried it with the switch set to 30 and it would still do it. I know now that I should set it to the 50hz position but I haven't tried it yet and just wanted some input if this should work ok or is that a little too much power for that cabinet period. I asked for advice from lord valve when i bought the power amp and he said that it should be fine. Thanks for any input.

2. I have the same poweramp and I would definitely use the 50hz filter on that cab, although that probably doesnt have much to do with your "pop" sound. Which leads me to some questions:

What kind of pop sound? Like is it an electrical pop? Or is it the sound of your cones bottoming out?

If its the cones then you're probably just too loud. Pushing 1800 watts into that cab if you have the amp cranked is a lot of power. I thought those 8x10's were rated higher than 800? Anyhoo ... If its an electrical noise, it could just be a bad cable somewhere in the chain, etc.

Peace

3. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I think it is the speaker noise. I'm going to try the 50hz filter next. That might take care of it because without the cabinet is getting some low frequencies that it can't handle being just 10's. I have a brand new banana to speakon speaker cable so i don't think it is the cables at all.

4. Well there are more cables than that in your chain:

Bass to pre-amp
    Pre-amp to Poweramp
    Any effects loop you may be using

Just some ideas :) I just went through a phase where I thought something was wrong with my new Fender bass - ended up being messed up electricity from the wall to my rig in the practice room. I learned to check out every option before deciding I KNEW what was wrong and headed off to the shop, hehe.

Good luck!

5. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Thanks for the input.