Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overpriced Steve Harris signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by My bass in your, Dec 4, 2003.

1. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    I have the chance to buy a NEW Fender Steve Harris signature P bass.

Sad this is that the shop can't sell it less than 900 Euro. (= 1000$US?).

It's only produced in 2001 (50th anniversary of the P bass) so it's discontinued. I thought that It would be cheaper.
    I asked if it could go cheaper... and they can give me a set of new strings. No case, no gigbag included. Just the bass, in good condition. It has SD 1/4 Pounders and a Bad ass II bridge.

It IS expensive, but maybe my last chance to buy a NEW Harris P...

What would you do?

ps. I'm an huge Maiden fan. And I don't NEED the bass. I need to have it before they become rare. But the thing is, I don't see them much nowadays... :eek:

2. Personally i think that is a bit expensive for that bass. Mine was used but in 'like new' condition and i got mine for 700$ Canadian(about 500$ USA)

As a Maiden freak as well i had to have this bass...and it is a great bass and a beautiful one too. And to tell you the truth i would have paid more myself so i was lucky on the price i guess...but i really wanted it.
    If your a HUGE Maiden fan...then the price can be justified. But its still a great bass either way. :)

If i remember correctly list price was around 900$ USA

3. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Thanks you for the input B'aces! (love that moniker!)

Any euopean thoughts?

4. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Well, I like the thought of buying it new.
    But a good second hand would do it too. But Ebay Holland isn't that big. :( either way: I'd hate to end up not owning one.

On Ebay UK went one for 360 Pound (=550 US$?) but that was one in a good condition + case...

A Fender Jazz Bass USA..
    Feedback (the shop with the SH) -> € 1.399,-
    Thomann (big German internet shop) -> 1138.00 EUR
    :confused:

5. ok im from holland too.

indeed, american-made basses cost more in holland.

feedback isnt that great a store. its something like GuitarCenter. Mainly budget instruments. Large collection. Cheap prices, sucky customer support.

I cant think of Feedback having the last Harris sig. Theres probably a shop somewhere else that still has one.

Oh and BTW: if you want to go secondhand, try marktplaats.nl or muziek.2dehands.nl and gitaarmarkt.nl.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Here a French thought.

Unless you absolutely want a Steve Harris Signature P for probably very personal reasons, I'm really not sure this bass will give you anything more than any P.

I made my choice on an awesome Fender MIJ 70's Reissue P, and it's a KILLER. Total cost (including shipping, customs and VAT) : less than 700 EUR. And it has an American P.U. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    JL

7. MBIYF.................Haico?
    there was one on ebay uk
    it finally went for about £325
    which is about 450 euro...
    i am following the 51P reissue and sting genre just now and they are a bit pricey as well
    cheers
    mrcrow

8. I just bought the ultimate P-bass which is essentially the same instrument - however, it is a much better instrument.

I picked up a G&L Legacy Bass ('92 or early '93) - sparkle blue (Lake Placid), maple neck, heavy G&L bridge and Duncan Quarter Pound pickups.

Cost: $400 USD :D

I've owned several US Fenders over the years (three of them '70's P basses) - this G&L Legacy is hands down THE best P bass I've ever laid my hands on and it was made in the real Fender shop in Fullerton California. It's too bad G&L discontinued it (the LB-100).

Anyway, this bass also does Steve Harris' tone as well as the real one.

Here's a pic (the star stickers have been removed).

[​IMG]

9. Your missing your mirrored pickguard though :D

Nice bass btw. :)

10. Id say! :oops:

11. Unless you believeyou can sell it for twice hat price someday, and it doesn't hurt you to spend that money.. don't buy it..

People that's in your situation and falls into the trap is what makes companies like fender get rich thanks to pure marketing.. being a huge Iron Maiden fan, doesn't mean you have to own Steve Harris' signature bass.. That bass won't make you closer to steve harris, or help you develop your technique like his.. Well.. I guess you don't need this to be told to you.. So in sum.. invest that money in something you can really get a benefit from.

there's gotta be TONS of other great options for a simmilar bass.. for even less than half that money.

12. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    :D

Ya sure?

Haven't decided yet, new amp or Harris bass... ?!
    It's still there...

13. Oh geez, another pic, this time next to my Trans Orange P-Bass. :D

14. I say it has a beautiful flame, on the back.

I say on the front, it has a beautiful, uh, piece of enormous white plastic.

15. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Ow lordy lord.

I saw Maiden last night, in Rotterdam! And Steve rocked his sig the last 2 songs. Zwing zwang, great sound.

Unstoppable GAS. I'll get mine asap. :bassist:
    :D

16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I agree that its over-priced,I wanted to get the DICK DUNN bass that they came out with which is almost the same bass, but only was avalible I believe in EUROPE.
    I seen one on E-BAY last week for 900.00$,FORGET THAT ! I will not pay 900.00$ for a japanese p-bass,I can get them all day for 400.00$ used(mint) and 550.00$ new,plus you can order any options your heart desires and make a Harris bass yourself (minus the signature on it).
    But if you must have it then do it,lifes too short for depriving ones self of cool basses,I seen a harris bass last month sell on E-bay for 500.00$ and it was a mess,so they are a pricey bass.

17. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I would love to find one,can you direct me to them ? PLEASE ?;)