1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overrated bases???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmantd, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bassmantd

Bassmantd Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I see a lot of music man and Warwick basses on the classified site, and I was wondering if they are overrated, or just not made as well as other basses to see so many for sale. What do you think? What do you guys think the most overrated bases are?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think it is just a trend. They were huge in the 90s and early 2000s. Not so much these days.

I have owned one and played quite a few. They are really nice, just not for everyone. Kind of a niche bass.

There are so many amazing basses being made these days....at all price points. The market isn't flooded, but it's crowded.

If you find one at a good price snag it. They are well made.

3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Don't be moved by the classifieds.. Sometimes people just want to try something different. I don't know of any overrated basses by brand.. I tend to take each bass on it's own strengths ...

AB Nate, puff father, Ikkir and 26 others like this.
  4. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Inb4 Gibson. Depending on who you ask, 5000$+ ones are overrated too but...let's not start a fight here..

5. 2nd base is highly over-rated. Everyone knows 3rd base is the best, because you're so close to home plate.
    :smug:

kansas666, aah_scary, mrb327 and 81 others like this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You obviously haven't played many basses and then played many EBMMs. Pretty much every manufacturer wishes they could be that consistent.

OnederTone, Ampslut, gln1955 and 17 others like this.
  7. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Some people change basses like underwear. If you did any research at all, you'd see quality is not the issue for either brand.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Overrated by whom? And for what? It's completely subjective. What one person thinks is overrated by be a dream bass to someone else. I wouldn't use the classifieds as a barometer for anything like that. There has been a spike of Dingwalls for sale recently, but they make some of the highest quality basses on earth. They just aren't the right bass for the people who are selling them. Nothing more than that.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Fender.

Especially vintage ones.

arrowsun, GoLeafsGo, javadog and 67 others like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I used to think P basses were overrated.
    Then again, when I was five I didn't like girls.
    On second thought, I've always liked girls!

Dwitt33, Coriolis, Atshen and 13 others like this.
  11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think a thread inviting to call somebody's baby ugly is by definition a troll thread.

12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Chinese Fenders,Foderas,Rics,Warwicks

Yup overrated.
    rBVaGlZVeUGAJEX-AAH2AETFXcU709. 48b32f01ed2898d997bc0b996e4ae3a2. new-4-strings-bass-guitars-cream-yellow-st. 1.0x0. wholesales-New-Arrival-4-String-4003-Electric-Bass-Guitar-R8-South-Korea-accessories--with-case. . rBVaHVR3QYmANPKhAANrp5Vqopg496. rBVaGlXT9MaAPP0DAAKoXmMh1W8901.
    Make dam cool wall "art" though.
    and useful during cold winter nights.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Dug2, lomo, rmayer and 1 other person like this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

BrBss, 12BitSlab, Hammerfield and 6 others like this.
  14. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Trololololololo

15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've owned and gigged hundreds of basses, I agree that vintage basses are waaaaay overrated. Old usually just means old.

16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I'm not sure about Musicmangs but Warricks can be heavy so that's one of the reasons you see them in the classifieds.

bmxican33 likes this.
  17. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    It was a drive by trolling!!!

Later_Peter, twinjet and pbassrules like this.
  18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yessirree....every few years. :whistle:

19. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Sire.

joebar, pjbassist, ariwax and 3 others like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Well you got your Nerve...

Ghastly and ThePresident777 like this.