1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OVERSEAS SHIPPING: HOW TO?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I searched but did not find a good general discussion; I have a party in Switzerland interested in my Stambaugh but having never shipped beyond the CONUS, I'm very unsure to say the least. I've seen people mention shipping body & neck separately to make smaller shipping boxes(doable, but it would of course mean no OHSC); barring insurmountable charges, I'd rather keep it together. I will talk to my local USPS office but in the meantime, can anyone here offer any advice and/or guidance?

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I've done it a few times and while it does require a little more work, it's not all that difficult. I have found the most economical way to do it is through USPS.

The key is to check the size limitations for the country you're shipping to. It looks like Switzerland is one of the countries that has a 60 inch length max with a length + girth max of 108 inches for Priority Mail International. I've found that with those size limitations you can ususually find a smaller bass shipping box without an issue....and you can ship it with the case. It looks like the Priority Mail International rate is around $115 for a 30 lb package. There is a customs form that has to be completed, but it's a pretty straightforward form.

Some countries have a smaller limitation and the length + girth is usually limited at 79 inches. This is when you would have to separate the neck from the body and ship the bass disassembled...without the case. Even though I have never shipped this way, I almost did a couple of times and I had a hard time finding a box that would fit.

UPS is an alternative, but they are usually a lot more expensive.

I know some sellers have been asked to deflate the cost of the bass on the customs form so the buyer doesn't have to pay as much in customs duties. I've never been asked, but I would never do it anyway. The idea of me committing fraud so someone else a couple of dollars doesn't sit very well with me.

Again, while it does require a little more effort, it's not all that bad.

3. Thank you very much. Although the overseas sale did not pan out, I think others may benefit from this info. I'm very much w/you on the fraud thoughts as well. :)