Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overseas shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BobaMosfett, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Hi there!

Is there anybody from Holland or some other european country that has experience with ordering a bass from Basscentral?

I'm thinking about ordering there because of the huge price difference, but I'm hesitating...

Thanks!

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi, I ordered a bass from a US source about 1 year ago.

You have to pay 2 additional fees on top of the bass, the shipping and the insurance for the shipping!

Firstly, import duty. And from what I can gather it is about 3.7% for all of the EU.

So, add up your bass, shipping and insurance charge, then add 3.7% to that (yes, you pay import duty on the shipping and insurance costs!).

Once you have that figure, add your country's VAT or whatever the tax is - in the UK it's 17.5%.

So, you then add 17.5% to the subtotal you already calculated when adding the import duty (so yes, you then pay VAT on the shipping and insurance fees!)

All in, I think I calculated the total extra fees at 21.8% of the totla price you pay to basscentral for bass, shipping and insurance!

Hope this helps!

Note: I didn't order my bass from BAssCentral though....

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I never ordered anything from BassCentral, but based on their reputation here on TB, and on my phone conversations with them, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Other outfits that I did order from and that are also very good are Bass Alone and BassNW.