Overseas Versus USA Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringMan50, Jan 8, 2005.

1. StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    Which do you prefer and why. Aren,t there electronic just as good as made in america, are there woods different than usa woods. Seem to me you can find there electronic in american made product or is the different just in the bass guitars. Is it there unskilled labor force? under payed employee, seem the same for usa. Tell me why, why USA.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own several USA made basses, and several foreign made basses.

As long as the electronics are good, and the workmanship is good, it doesn't matter to me where a bass is made.
  3. Yeah, there are some basses that I've seen made overseas that I would definitely like to get my hands on.

Jerzy Drozd
    Many more...
  4. i own an indonesian bass...it sounds pretty nice...but that in my perspective..i haven't played a usa made bass...so i can't tell
  5. Don't forget Warwick (yeah I know many people here dislike them, but they are great).

I'm probably getting a 91' Warwick Thumb 6 next week.

And as embellisher stated, as long as the craftmanship is great, does it really matter if it's made in the US or Europe?
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think it matters to me as much where the bass comes from, as long as the quality is good. The reason overseas basses are sometimes seen as bad is becasue the quality just isnt as good, on the construction and assembly.
  7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Or is he talking about "cheaper" versions of USA models? Such as Lakland USA vs Skyline? Cort/Elrick Josh Paul vs Elrick Gold Classic? Fender USA vs Fender Mex vs Brice-Essex? MTD USA vs MTD Kingston/Heir/Saratoga?

As long as it sounds good and plays good...it is good! Doesn't matter to me where it was made. Saying that, all my basses are US models, but only because it's worked out that way. Lately, I've been heavily lusting for a Cort Josh Paul, a Skyline 55-02, and a MTD Heir with active electronics. I ended up with a Cirrus, but only because of the deals I found. Not from where they were made.

8. Could be.. If that's the case then the cheaper labor definitely factors into the lower price point.
  9. Personally I don't think it matters where a bass comes from if it is good
  10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    With many instruments coming from Korea and China, I think what starts to be a problem is consistency. With Amercian instruments in a batch of 10 2 wil be crappy 6 good and 2 awesome. With some of the instruments from Korea and China 4 will be crappy 4 will be OK and 1 will be good and 1 will be awesome.

Alot of this has to do with available woods and craftsmanship. I don't think you can include the likes of Ritter, Overwater, Warwick in this same group. All of the Korean guitars are being setup in America anyway (Skylines, KSD etc.), so the playability and electronics can be pretty close. The only difference is the quality of the woods in many cases
  11. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Would it be wrong to predict the appearance of more pro/boutique stuff coming out of asia in coming years? fact is, their production has surely evolved.
  12. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    If the bass sounds and feels good, the country of origin doesn't matter to me. There are several non-USA basses that are probably of the same level of any US-made bass. For example:

-Sadowsky Metro

And the list goes on...
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I couldn't care where they're made. Some are just more consistent in quality than others, but one of the best basses I've ever played was definately a $200 Ibanez.
  14. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I think it doesnot matter where the bass is coming from. For instance , Japan makes good quality products, please do not forget Japanese is more picky in terms of quality than most Americans. European are generally good.Basses made in China or Indonesa/Vietnam/ Korea generally moderate quality because of mass production and that is what American importers are expecting for - cheap price/ entry level.
    If those importers are willing to pay more ( Lakland etc.) they will get a US quality product.
    Do you know what is a piece of mass produced bass export price ? ONLY $40 -$50 !
    Bass or guitar IS NOT a high tech!
    If you go for something with luthiers touch or with American labour , than the cost will jump up .