1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overton amps.....thumbs down! Gah!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 11, 2017.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Last year, I bought an Overton (pronounced Over-tone) amp from a TB'er. Now I know why the company went out of business. Had a gig last night. I don't normally use this amp but said, what the heck. It's basically a backup amp. Anyway, the amp started sounding weird. I thought I blew my speaker cab. Or maybe the battery died in my bass. I changed the battery and still nothing but fuzziness. Good thing I had the Markbass in the car. Gig went on without a hitch. But honestly, the amp is horrible sounding. It has a Sculpt button. I'm guessing it's like a Contour of some sort. Without it engaged, the amp sounds horrific so I kept it engaged. I know....why use it? Well, I can eq it to sounding decent. Honestly, the amp is hissy and hard to tame. Last night was the last draw. I did try it out today and it seems to be working normally but I can't take a chance on using it for a gig. I can't even sell it now so it's going in the closet. I'm sure their cabs are more reliable but the amps are duds.

2. So you bought an amp used from someone you basically know nothing about or how the amp has been treated in the past but because this particular specimen has problems all other Overton amps are crap. Is that about right?

ddnidd1, HaphAsSard and agedhorse like this.
  3. DWBass

I've reached out to Overton on their Facebook page and have gotten zero response. Not the first time I've tried to contact anyone from Overton. The company is defunct but it'd be nice to get some support. I'm not mad though. Don't read between the lines. I tried it. It sucked. I'll move on. Just posting MY experience. By the way, I fired it up last night and it was working normally. Go figure. Still harsh sounding. It'll be a 3rd string backup.

By the way, there aren't many, if any, posts regarding Overton amps. Maybe that's saying something.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    BassmanPaul likes this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If it's been sitting a long time, you might have some oxidation and/or intermittent contact at one or more of the jacks (effects loops seem to be common culprits) or pots. A cold or cracked solder joint would be another possibility. If there is a preamp tube, make sure the pins/contacts are clean. Those could all contribute to intermittent or fuzzy sound.

I remember looking at their amps (online) some years ago -- there was a micro and a single rackspace amp, I think -- and I remember reading a review somewhere that was at least somewhat positive. I at least semi-seriously considered ordering one, but I also remember some delay in production or back order -- a notice on their website relating to such. Maybe this was shortly before they went out of business.

Anyway, RIP Overtōn, good luck, OP.

5. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
  6. DWBass

7. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I bought an Overton Flyweight 200 about 6 years ago and within a week I bought 2 more of them because I liked the 1st one so much. And I still have all of them - I use 1 in my small home workshop to test out basses and for personal practice (which I’ve used literally almost everyday for 6 years). 1 permanently lives in my band’s practice room (which I’ve used twice a week ever since I got it), and 1 that lives in my car as a backup amp for gigs (which I’ve played probably 100+ shows with in the past). I bought 3 of em because they were so affordable for a 200W class D amp (~$215 each brand new), they have built-in compressors (which for me is really convenient), and they sound great for what they are.

I’ve had zero issues with any of mine. All 3 sound super clean and really loud for a 200W amp (about 50% louder than both the GK MB200 and the Ampeg Micro VR that I used to own). I run the ones in my workshop and practice rooms thru a single Ampeg SVT210AV cab. And the one I keep in my car as a backup amp now, I used to run with 2 SVT210AVs for live shows and it always sounded great, and plenty loud in a 5-piece rock/soul/blues band. In fact I even had a soundguy ask me why I stopped playing with that amp because he thought it was one of the best and cleanest micro amps he’s ever heard. The only reason I don’t use the Overton for gigs much anymore is because I’ve since bought a couple better/more expensive amps that I like even more - an Ampeg V-4B (because it’s just hard to beat 100W of all tube power) and an Aguilar rig (TH500 w/ 2 SL112 cabs) because the Aggie is just a downright amazing micro stack. But I think my Overtons are still great little micro amps that have treated me well for a long time.

I have nothing to gain from saying this, I’m not affiliated with the company at all (and they are out of biz anyways now), but the OP must have just gotten a dud that probably just needs to be repaired.

drpepper likes this.