overusing dead notes?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Nov 24, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Ive been playing alot of latin stuff recently in practice. Just for warm ups and soundchecks...e.t.c.

I found a rythm i like (gipsy kings: silver hands), and it seems i use ALOT of dead notes. I can play it pretty fast and improvise parts into solos and stuff, just i use so many dead notes. I cant seem to get into the groove without using them. I feel like a freak. (yet again)

I was wondering if anyone else finds themselves almost over-using this technique?

just wondering.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Latin stuff often features a lot of long tones that tie over bar lines. I use dead notes to keep track of rests and and ignore the ties as a practice aid to help me figure out the rhythm of the lines, since I don't hear those rhythms naturally.

As I get more comfortable with the way the line sounds, I start to hear the dead notes/rests in my head and don't need to play them anymore (unless I get totally lost). The last thing I add back are the ties.

If you're using dead notes in place of long tones, that's probably overuse. If you're just keeping track of rests, it's probably okay until the drummer/percussionist complains that you're putting him out of a job.