Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overwater arrives! - Warning, no burl inside... :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Dec 20, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    EDIT: More pics near end of this page!

Just received my Overwater J-Series! As some of you may remember I wanted a vintage looking but modern fretless. Which I think is exactly what I got! No exotic woods, but I just think that's a proper counter balance to all the nice burls and quilts we've seen lately. :)

Specs: 35" scale, swamp ash body w. tortoise pickguard, maple neck w. unlined ebony fingerboard, Overwater pickups, J-Retro preamp. The neck and body finish is natural satin, and smooth as baby skin.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: forgot to list the pickups

2. mmm!!! That looks frickin nice dude! Congrats on the purchase

3. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Wow -- how much did that cost?
    I'd love one.......

Pete

4. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    This configuration - £ 1775. Subtract a bit for simpler electronics, add a bit for an exotic wood top.

5. Det där är vad jag kallar en juste julklapp. ;)

So, you've got your Overwater at last! :D
    Looks great. Actually, it looks better than any Sadowsky I've ever seen (it's got a nicer body shape to begin with). I also like the somewhat ascetic looks of your new wonder, but can't help to think that it might look even cooler without the pickguard.
    The most important question, though; is it any good? ;)

Have fun!

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Det där är vad jag kallar en juste julklapp.
    Ja visst är det! :D

I also like the somewhat ascetic looks of your new wonder, but can't help to think that it might look even cooler without the pickguard.
    OK, so here's my plan... :) I'm eventually getting another one! The current bass is getting a fretted neck, and the fretless neck goes on a new body that is rear routed, swamp ash w. a quilt maple top, natural finish. No pick guard, no control plate. How does that sound?

The most important question, though; is it any good?
    Uh, YES! :)

Have fun!
    Thanks / plan to!

7. Very tasty ,i've been thinking about a four string for a while now.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yes yes. I like it. Swamp Ash is an excellent tonal wood IMO. It looks good to ;)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nice. I didn't know Overwater offered a Jazz style bass.

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Fan vad nice!

I like it! Can I play it if i come to Stockholm? ;)

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    smokin!

what kind of pickups are those, and how does it sound with the J-retro? modern/vintage? bright? growly?

i want a retro pre in both my basses so bad, but i'll probably have to wait till summer to get a u-retro deluxe in my 5'er, and will probably end up putting a basslines or bart pre in my 6'er for expediency.

so i'm jealous. thanks alot :D

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very nice looking bass! Congrats.

Dan

13. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    That really makes me want to build a nice fretless 5.
    You know, I agree. As much as I love exotic woods, I get tired of looking at them sometimes and this bass just has the right combination of everything to really look good. I play my black jazz 4 with no pickguard, but I like the one on there. Classy.

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    jasonbraatz said:
    what kind of pickups are those, and how does it sound with the J-retro? modern/vintage? bright? growly?

The pickups are made by Overwater (dual-coil, hum cancelling). As to sound, I have not even had a chance yet to play the bass through anything but my practice amp, but there seems to be all kinds of sounds available, both brights and mellows are there, and quite punchy too, as far as I can judge with the small combo. Expressive is the word perhaps. It's better than I am, for sure. :) Sometime between Xmas and New Year is our next rehearsal, I will probably not have time to drive down to use my proper amp before that.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    <--- jealous

16. Hey that looks great, Anders. Great looking modern Jazz.

My next bass is gonna be much simpler looking than the Dingwall. A bit of spruce, a bit of alder, a bit of ebony and a bit of maple.

I think the simpler ones are have a certain class about them.

I love my burls though.

Geoff

17. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just three more pics by request...
    <table><tr><td colspan=2>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    Hmm, need to do some work on my avatar, methinks... :)

18. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Geoff St. Germaine said:
    I love my burls though.

Your Dingwall is the king of basses so far and I'm envious, as many others I'm sure. :)
    I just felt the need for plain this time, my other basses are of the more exotic kind,
    so it was time for something new/old.

19. That sounds good enough, I guess, but I just visited Overwater's site and found these [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first one has a pear wood top, the other a figured maple top (actually, the site says that it's figured swamp ash over maple, but i think they got it wrong), and they both look nicer than any quilt maple top I've ever seen. And, if I were you, I'd get a pear top.
    But, then again, I don't like quilted maple, so you might as well just ignore me. :)

20. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Yo Anders,You must be pretty stoked considering
    you received you're new bass and amp/cab's all in the same week....Ho Ho Ho for real huh.;)