Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overwater basses (spec. J-series), anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jul 31, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Still looking for a new European built modern fretless jazz bass...

The German Hotwire bass can be ordered with 35" scale but the delivery time is a bit longer than I had hoped for...

Next on my inquiry list is the English manufacturer Overwater, they have the j-series bass that look very nice, and with many options for wood and finishes. Anyone with experience from Overwater basses? Quality, sound?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Anders

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Chris Cellinder of Denmark makes a very nice modern fretless J Bass.

3. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks Jauqo, I have looked at the Celinder quite a bit, they are very nice, but I don't like the looks - just minor things like the pot placement and the pickguard seem wrong to me.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Kool.but you can get it without a pickgard.I forgot check out Frudua in Italy if you haven't already.

5. I've got a review of an Overwater J from Bassist magazine collecting dust somewhere, if you want to, PM me and I can scan it and mail it to you.
    And while you're looking at British made basses, check out Shuker, Sei and Goodfellow, if you haven't already. Any of these makers could probably make you anything you could ever imagine, and I must say that Martin, who builds Sei basses, is a super nice guy. I've just visitied his store - The Gallery - once, quite a few years ago, and he treated me like an old friend. His basses are equally nice, as well.
    I also found a review of a Ryder, another British make, J type bass, here at the Guitarist website that might be of interrest. Don't know if Ryder has a website, or is in business, or not, though.
    BTW, how can anyone not like the Celinder look? ;)

6. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I have both an Overwater, and a Sei, although neither are jazz......:) .......they're both great, workmanship is top notch, sound and feel are great, and both luthiers aproach to building is excellent.

Also both are good value.......sure they sell expensive basses, but you get usually more than what you pay for!!

Peace

7. wow, those are really beautiful. i love the finishes.

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments.

I've not yet decided where to go, Overwater, Sei and Hotwire are all possible.

I'm thinking about color and finish, at the moment it looks like this
    (disregard pickups and incorrect shapes, i'ts a Photoshop job to play with colors)

[​IMG]

Whaddayathink, is the maple/tortoise/ebony combination OK or is it too pretty? :)

Edit: Hmm I've changed my mind. It is too pretty. I think I'll go with a simple ash body. How about that, better?

[​IMG]

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    [​IMG]

Check out Jerzy's stuff. He lives here in spain and works here also. Make sure you call because he usually has no time to answer mails. Better yet, visit him in barcelona

10. Hi Anders

I can confirm that the J basses you pictured there are very special indeed.

The Quilted Blue 5 string J is a Great bass. Having played it all i can say is wow!!!! :)

The tones very hard to describe, there is so much tonal variation available and anything you can think about is possible or can be done as long as it's physically and practically viable i.e won't make the bass unplayable.

Any sound can really be dialled in and the as always the classic J sound can be found.

They are available with your custom choice electrics. The john east circuit is usually used if i remember correctly.

The blue 5 belongs to Laurence Blackadder at Overwater. Laurence is a friend of mine, he's also my bass teacher. That bass has barts in and the J east circuit, pearl dots, wonderful birdseye maple board, flamed top, pearl pickguard, ABM bridge and light weight tuners.

Like i said, the bass has a great tone! It's playabillity is awsome and the fit and finish is second to none.

I myself own and play an Overwater progress 5 string and love everything about it.

With anybass you have to play and hear them in person to really appreiciate how good they are, but if you can try one out, you won't be dissapointed.

If you would like some more information contact them through the sites, or mail me.

NOte: I'm not an employee, just an avid fan and player, who lives 2 miles down the road from them ;)

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks tyburn!

I'm very close to ordering an Overwater j-series, customized to my idea of a very modern but also vintage looking bass. I've discussed the bass via e-mail with Laurence at Overwater, and the configuration I'm planning is:

- 35" fretless, dark lines on ebony fretboard
    - swamp ash body w. natural finish, or light sunburst
    - dark tortoise pickguard
    - Overwater j-style pickups
    - J-Retro preamp (active and passive, sweep mid)
    - chrome ABM and Schaller hardware

I'm not going with any exotic top as I want the bass to look retro or traditional, whatever you want to call it. 'Stealthy', perhaps. :)

I'm currently fretting (poor pun intended :p) when to take the plunge, the bass will cost a bit, so I'll have to raid the piggy bank...

/Anders

12. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    www.jerzydrozdbasses.com

Have any of you actually tried one of jerzy basses? I am thinking about a custom bass for next year and I don't know many other european worlwide luthiers. They sure look good!!

Can we europeans have as nice basses as our overseas pals? Is there a second hand Bass market here in europe?

13. THats Ok, just glad and happy to be able to help anyone with Overwater enquiries! MEaning, i only live down the road, so if theres anything that has been there i've probably played it or have see it from the beginning of it's construction :)

It certainly is exciting seeing the glueing of the neck and body, then weeks later seeing the final setup being done and it's ready for it's new owner.

Your specification sounds very cool, it's gonna look cool too, especially with the combination of hardware ;)

Hope you enjoy the process of having overwater make you a bass, i'll probably see it as soon as it's begun

stu

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just got off the phone after ordering my Overwater bass! It wound up being much like the specs above, J-series 5 string fretless, natural satin ash body, lined ebony fingerboard, tortoise-shell pickguard, Overwater pickups and J-Retro EQ/preamp.

I asked Chris May at Overwater to take the occasional picture while building the bass, hopefully I can use them to brag here as it gets built. :)

I'm quite excited right now, but how am I to survive the waiting... :(

15. '

Sounds great, so how long will it take for Overwater to build the masterpiece?

16. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't have a firm delivery date, but I'm told sometime end of November/early December, i.e. about two months given their current order situation.

17. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    have you used J-retro preamps before? I hear everybody talking great this about the thing. I am about to order a u-retro for my bass

18. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No, I'm taking a chance here, I've just read some good reviews of this preamp. I wanted an EQ with sweepable mid to tweak the fretless sound, and as the J-Retro is a direct replacement for the J Bass controls it seems a good choice.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man those Drozd basses are suddenly appealing to me. Up untill just now, I thought they looked like a melted Gumby figurine. Now I want a Basic model all of a sudden.

It's super organic, I love it!

20. Seems like you are going to be able to celebrate christmas in a kingly manner, in the meantime check this, this and this out...